Sunday, December 17, 2006

 

I just set my mother up, pre-nap...

...for what I'm hoping will be a Christmas podcast. I noticed, this morning, that the movie, The Santa Clause was showing this afternoon on one of the cable channels. This has been one of my daily duties since the Christmas season officially kicked off around Thanksgiving: Checking the daily TV listings for Christmas movies I know my mother would like (aside from also playing the ones we own). This isn't easy. She isn't a Christmas wimp. Just because a movie's about Christmas doesn't mean it will appeal to her. I was especially pleased about the appearance of this movie, because I rented it a few years ago and she loved it, although, today, she didn't remember ever viewing it and loved it anew.
    After watching the movie, Mom and I worked into a discussion of the "new" Santa Claus traditions and information contained in the movie and how these compare with old Santa data. This is a subject close to my mother's heart, since she is Mrs. Christmas.
    As we talked, I began wondering about what she remembers about Christmases in her past. I held myself back from asking, though, because, I decided, depending on what she could remember, this might make for an interesting (at least to our extended family) podcast. As our conversation dwindled, it occurred to me that, if I want to set the stage for the most memories possible, I should consider purposely trying the technique I accidentally discovered when she and I talked about her grandfather's book of worship, reviewed in this post, second part of the post.
    I hit her with the Christmas podcast idea and explained the technique I was planning on using. "You're about to take a nap, Mom. I'm going to run through a list of Christmas related subjects I'm curious about in regards to your life. I don't want you to respond right now. I don't want you to work at remembering anything. I just want you to listen, then we'll pack you off for you nap. We'll see how much you remember later this evening, after you've slept on it, awakened, and distracted yourself with our evening activities. Once you're relaxed, we'll warm up the microphone and hit the tracks." I mentioned to her, as well, that it took a night sleep for her to remember her and her soon-to-be aunt's attic cleaning adventure, and we're not limited by a schedule, so, if we don't get much tonight, we'll consider tonight a second prep session and revisit the subject tomorrow. Sounded like a good idea to her.
    As I rambled through a seat of the pants list, every time I noticed her brow wrinkling or her mouth opening to say something like, "I just can't remember," I'd stop her and say, "Mom, don't think. Just listen. Don't worry about whether anything's coming forward right now. Just listen to what I'm asking."
    For my reference, and use while we're recording, here is my remembered list of Christmas related subjects, probably including some new ones that I expect will reveal themselves as I type:    I'm sure I'll think of more before and during our recording session (or sessions, whichever the case may be). I'm not promising results. A lot will depend on Mom's memory. It's possible, too, that it will take more than one recording session to successfully bring forth all my mother's memories, attitudes, opinions and stories, assuming we are successful. We'll see how it goes.
    I may also include New Years material, depending on how successful we are with this project.
    So, anyway, we'll see what comes of all this...
    ...later.

Comments:
Originally posted by sgbauer: Sun Dec 17, 05:34:00 PM 2006

That is such a great idea. I won't get to see my Dad this Christmas, as I'm in CA and he is in TX. But I am going to ask my sister if she will approach this same idea with my dad. Even if she wrote it down instead of a podcast, it would be something we would have journaled. My grandmother also had Alzheimers and we did have her write alot of stories about her life while she could still remember. Take care and I hope you and your mom have a nice Christmas.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?