Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

I forgot the best part...

...the part our relatives and friends, especially those who have kept up with Mom and have known her for ages, will especially enjoy.
    Our conversation last night, mentioned in the immediately previous post, that took place after the Boston Legal episode, ranged further than the area I covered below. Although I don't remember how we got there, we also touched on the subject of the slow down that commonly accompanies aging; not just intellectual slowing, but physical, social, etc. After discussing objectively what this slow down involves, I asked Mom, "How do you feel about your slow down?"
    "Well," she said, leaning back into her rocker and projecting her thoughts onto the ceiling for further study, "I know it'll come. It does for everyone, eventually. I'm not afraid of it. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll take it in stride. I'll probably be ready for it, then."
    My mind had to take a powder, here. "Oh," I said, catching up with her. "So, you're saying you haven't slowed down, yet."
    She gave me that sidelong glance that translates: "Don't play stupid with me, girl, I gave birth to you!" "Well, of course not," she fairly snorted. Her eyes narrowed. "Why? Are you slowing down? Are you having trouble keeping up with me?" I noted that she was teasing by only half.
    I laughed. "You know, Mom, maybe I have! Maybe you're going to have to slow down so I can keep up with you!"
    So, people, it's official. Regardless of what you think, regardless of how it appears, regardless of the obvious drivel I publish on these sites, my mother has not yet begun to slow down. So there. Don't listen to me, her daughter; my perceptions can't be trusted. After all, I'm beginning to slow down, you know.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?