Thursday, December 21, 2006

 

I am the Errand Dream Girl!

    Seven errands, all at different places, in exactly two hours, from the time I walked out the door to the time I walked back in! Amazing! I've been noticing, here and there, on the news, that various pundits have been predicting, based on "early statistics" and curious singular interviews of people stopped at shopping malls who are confirming they are "spending more this year than last", that this holiday season is supposed to be a economic block buster but, gladly, I still don't see it. I'm seeing just the opposite. I had to purchase some odd sized packing boxes at the only other mail facility (a commercial one) in town besides the post office today. I arrived at 0915. The facility opens at 0800. I was the only person there. One of my errands involved a stop at Costco. They have almost completely stowed all their Holiday stuff, including food, toys, special gift items and wrapping paper. I asked about this at the counter. "Oh," said the clerk, "sales this year aren't nearly what they usually are." One of my errand stops was at Walmart, for paper underwear (the cheapest place to buy it). I arrived there at around 1000. Only three check-out stands were open. I went through the one with no waiting. I had one item to pick up at Walgreens. No waiting there. In fact, I think I was the only customer in the store. I stopped at our usual local grocery for some salad stuff. I got right through in no time. Once again, only three check-out stands were open and there was no waiting at the self-check. I noticed that about half of their Christmas stuff had already been taken off the floor.
    Of course, online shopping may be replacing in-store shopping. However, last year when I ordered and sent gifts from online facilities, I placed orders around the first of December and every single gift arrived after Christmas. This year, I waited until last week to place orders and it seems that all gifts have either arrived at their destinations or will arrive before the end of the week. Could be, of course, that the online stores got their act together this year after multiple headaches last year, but, you know, I continue to wonder, and hope. I have a feeling that all those predictive stats and interviews are being manufactured by the Econocrats in an attempt to get people to feed the money machine by trying to get us to think that everyone's spending loads of money on the holiday, this year. It looks, as well, much to my delight, that it might not be working.
    Mom had one of those blips where her BG registered high regardless of what I gave her. It seems to have lasted only a week, ending yesterday evening, although today's stats will tell. I purposely fed her something with rice last night to see if everything has settled down. I remember freaking when this happened just before her last doctor's appointment. This time, I relaxed about it and reminded myself that any sort of blip will pull her HA1c up to where her doctor would like to see it. Speaking of which, I guess you've noticed, I haven't taken her in for blood draws since September of this year. Neither she nor I have been into it. She's doing well, no visible changes. I figure, I'll haul her in (I'm sure it will be reluctantly) in January and we'll get in three monthly blood draws before her March appointment. It's nice to settle back and not worry about this stuff. Sometimes I think I was driving myself crazy with stat immersion. I'm sure periods of compounded stat activity will happen again. No need, I think, to push the envelope when things are going so well.
    Mom is increasingly excited about Christmas. She continues to ask me, daily, if "tomorrow" is the day we head for MCF's. The only disappointment we've had, so far, is that her blood sugar was registering so high all on it's own over our baking days that I froze everything, and severely limited what I baked and restricted her supervisory tasting of ingredients to nuts only. If her BG remains easily managed, though, over today and tomorrow, I think we'll do some of the put-off baking this weekend so we can honor her desire to take a basket full of baked goodies to our Christmas hostess and her family. As well, since Christmas falls on Monday, I'm picking up our car rental in the morning tomorrow on a four day weekend special. She and I have made plans to use it over the weekend to very comfortably make the rounds of the lights at the Courtyard Square, which are always fabulous, and hit some of the streets that are known for their Christmas displays. We also have on our docket the ever amazing Gingerbread House (used loosely, many of the "houses" are actually landscape displays; last year one of the entries was of a tropical beach setting with a "little grass shack") Competition, as well as taking in any other Christmas events we can find. I expect our plans, which are numerous, will be shaved a bit, once the reality of getting ready and foreswearing naps hits, but we'll do as much as she's prepared to do.
    I remain the Holiday Caregiver Grinch, but we're having fun, anyway, and Mom is in full Mrs. Christmas mode. When I hesitantly approached her, yesterday, with my plan to leave our house at 0800 on Christmas so we can spend the entire day partying with MCF's, not leaving until well after dark, which, I carefully mentioned, would mean I'd be getting her up at 0600 on Christmas Day, she responded, "Oh, yes! Don't forget! We want to get down there as early as possible and stay until they throw us out!" Holiday partying definitely becomes her.
    Our snow days were a bust. We had a half hour of snow the first day. Although it stuck, it was a mere dusting. A snow day was predicted for tomorrow, but that has evaporated, as well. I'm disappointed but remain hopeful.
    Oh, last stop. Recovering Christmas memories seems to remain elusive. I hope being at MCF's will stimulate some, but I won't have my computer with me (on purpose), so, if any come to the fore, I'll simply have to remember and write them down. I've sort of given up. Every time I mention the subject, usually by asking one of the questions on the list published below, Mom says, "Still trying that, are you?"

Comments:
Originally posted by Mona Johnson: Fri Dec 22, 05:57:00 AM 2006

Gail, maybe you will become the pundit of the new economy. "This year's rating of retail sales was a measly .64 on the GRH holiday scale, indicating trouble ahead for the nation's economy," I'll hear on NPR.

I'm hugely amused by your mom's awareness of your attempts to stimulate her memory, and I'm sure she doesn't mind. But it occurs to me that some people with memory problems resent BrainAge, etc. and people's attempts to "maintain their brains."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?