Sunday, November 19, 2006

 

Well, folks, this is my first post here since I transferred to Blogger Beta this morning.

    All my journals are transferred, now. I took the complete plunge because, as Blogger updates its servers to Beta, I've been having trouble making global changes to my templates. As well, my experience with using Beta isn't any more frustrating than using the original Blogger has been and, in some cases, notably template publishing, it's much, much more reliable. There is one change I made to this template about a month ago and I haven't been able to get it to register on back archive pages until this morning when I republished my template through Beta. Hallelujah!
    It will be quite awhile, I imagine, before I begin labeling the posts on this and all other sites except the Mom & Me One Archive site.
    My guess is that quite a few of my problems result from two circumstances:    Template publishing proceeds much more quickly on my larger journals than previously. Post publishing is just a bit slower, but not annoying. I'm finding that the only error messages I have to pay attention to are the "Publishing is taking longer than we expected..." messages.
    One more glitch I want to mention about labeling. While labeling one of my posts over at the archive site yesterday, I ran into a unique problem. I attached several long labels to the post and when I attempted to publish I got a message indicating "Must contain no more than 200 characters". I wasn't sure whether this applied to the label box or to the actual length of the labels. I did notice, though, that none of my labels were 200 characters. I scoured them for disallowed characters, none of which they contained. I tried deleting some of the longer labels, which didn't work, either. I also compared numbers and size of labels with other posts and noticed I had one post that rivaled, if not exceeded, the labels on the post in question. Finally, I decided to add and create (when necessary) labels through the "Edit Posts" facility. Although this was time consuming because you can only attach one label at a time, it worked.
    After fooling around with Mozilla, Safari and Firefox, I am using Firefox exclusively on both my computers when I want to publish anything. It's speed and number of error messages is about equal to using Firefox but Firefox allows me access to all the "Create Post" buttons. Safari does not.
    This post will also contain my first label on this site. Immediately after publication, I'll attempt to set up a Label Index over on the right side of my template. We'll see how that works.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?