Thursday, November 16, 2006

 

No Thanksgiving trip this year.

    I've been doing some background-brooding about this for several days. I finally talked to Mom about it last night. I asked her if she would be "terribly disappointed" if we didn't trip down to Chandler for a family Thanksgiving.
    Mom: "I wouldn't be disappointed, but I wonder if they [MPS and family] would be disappointed, since they asked us."
    Me: "Well, that's possible. Do you want to know why I don't want to do this?"
    Mom: "That would help."
    I explained all the preparation detail:    This is not to say, I told her, that I wouldn't have a good time here and there. It is to say that when we travel for the purpose of visiting relatives and friends, I work double time and I'm not up for that, this year. Finally, I said, "If your desire to go is so high that you would be very disappointed if we didn't, Mom, I can work myself up for the trip. I mean, I know it's been awhile since you've seen any family except me."
    "It hasn't been that long," she said. "I'm not missing anyone."
    "Well, Mom, even though your memory is pulling out visits as though they're fresh, it has been awhile, and, certainly, it's been well over a year since we've done a family visit on a holiday."
    "I think you're mistaken about that."
    Hmmm...well, I suppose I could say that this is in my favor, anyway. "Okay. Well, what do you want to do?" At this point I'm thinking, you know, I probably shouldn't leave it up to her, I should probably have just made my decision and lived with whatever flack it caused.
    "Traveling is hard on me, too, you know," Mom said.
    I was surprised. This is the first time she's acknowledged that travel is hard on her, even though I know it is. Usually, I consider that she gets caught up in the excitement and any difficulties she may have disappear in the change of scenery, the visiting and her dementia. "I didn't know that," I said.
    "I don't think it's necessary, this time. Maybe we can go out to eat, or have a dinner here at home."
    "Which would you prefer?" I asked.
    "You know, I always prefer ham," she said.
    "Well, I can't get ahold of anyone there until the weekend, so you've got a few days to change your mind (so do I, I noted). But, I definitely need to call them on the weekend, so they can change the reservations. I'll remind you a couple of times before then, so we can revisit the decision."
    "No need to do that."
    I will, anyway. Frankly, I'm surprised. I think I may have been counting on Mom's disappointment to jump start me into some sort of Holiday Trip Hurrah. Didn't happen. I'm also not feeling guilty, I notice, which is different from years past; relieved is more like it.
    Maybe this year will be a reverse of last year, which was: Thanksgiving trip but no Christmas trip. Then, again, maybe our closest family has other plans for Christmas. The one aspect of all this of which I'm sure is that, despite MPS's decision a few years ago to handle the holidays, thinking (and, I thought this, too) that this would be a relief for me, it isn't. In fact, the holidays, toward which I have a natural aversion, have become even more detestable for me because of these frantic trip days.

Comments:
Originally posted by Anonymous: Thu Nov 16, 06:57:00 PM 2006

I think that its really healthy that you're recongizing how this would all effect you. You should do something that will be a celebration for you and not ridiculous draining. Good for you.


Originally posted by Patty McNally Doherty: Thu Nov 16, 09:14:00 PM 2006

You actually had me laughing tonight, going through your check list of the million and one things that a caregivers does to take a delightful holiday trip. And you didn't even list the emergencies! Like, what happens if the car breaks down? At night? With no one around? What happens if you get a flat?

Everyday life is complex enough, just taking care of the routine stuff. Throw in the holiday excursion and you have a real stressful, difficult, labor intensive "holiday" to look forward to.

I remember my brother inviting my mom to go see the Pope in Italy - with my father. My sister and I laughed for a good week about the world the distant siblings lived in and the world she and I lived in with my mom and dad. They really meant well, and my mom would have loved to have seen the Pope, but taking my father to Italy would be the same as taking him to the moon. My brother meant well, he just didn't know the limitations Alzheimer's imposes on travel. It was a major military maneuver to get my dad from the house to the mailbox and back. Italy? Absurd.

It's just that is sounds so normal - a trip to visit relatives for Thanksgiving. They just don't know what it is they're asking you to do.

But we do. And it is with a sigh of relief I read that you'll be holidaying at your own homestead. Bake pies for the relatives instead, with one arm tied behind your back, while standing on one foot, and your eyes closed. I bet it would be easier than taking the trip.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?