Tuesday, November 7, 2006

 

I've been happily swimming in no-thing in particular...

...for the last few days, and I expect to continue for a short while; maybe longer. I think about posting, but as soon as I think of it, I find myself wandering elsewhere...
    I've been running Non-Stat Days here, for, hmmm...I think yesterday was the third in a row but I'll have to check on that as I update the Dailies in a few minutes.
    We're having what Mom considers a glorious relief from fall; warm, sunny, she even decided she wanted to survey the backyard yesterday and talked about how she was glad summer was almost upon us, so we could spend more time in the back yard. I didn't bother to correct her about the season, nor about how difficult it was to get her into the back yard last summer.
    My mind is floating...it knocks into a subject, maneuvers around it and moves on to knock into another. I like this.
    We've been invited to MPS's for Thanksgiving, talked it over and we're planning on going. Oh, which reminds me, I need to reserve a car for the trip. Their plan is that we meet at their house, then travel on to a restaurant for a chore-free dinner.
    When MPS called, she carefully mentioned that if it didn't seem like Mom would be up for a restaurant excursion, Thanksgiving could happen "at home". When I related this to Mom, he laughed (as did I when MPS mentioned it). "Doesn't that girl know, I'm always up for going out to eat?"
    My feeling is that Mom will be restaurant capable up to the day she dies. Her preferred death scenario is probably as follows: Dropping dead in a fragrant, busy restaurant while she's contentedly digesting a sumptuous meal comprised of all her favorites, including ham and dessert, dessert, dessert, no sign of vegetable material, and people watching-gossiping, surrounded by convivial family.
    Later.

Comments:
Originally posted by Anonymous: Tue Nov 07, 11:51:00 PM 2006

In some ways, being restaurant capable is more about you and your restaurant companions than it is about her - how much can you not care about what the others in the restaurant think about you all, how flexible you can be with how things go, and how much you can prepare in advance for possible problems (going when it isn't too busy so you can get food quickly, have an extra whatever re: incontienence needs, make sure that you're sitting somewhere not too loud - all of which depending on the stage in the disease and the person's particular needs. We still take Mom out to dinner at least twice a week, but it takes a lot of work.


Originally posted by Granny J: Wed Nov 08, 11:13:00 AM 2006

I notice that you mention absence of veggies on your mom's plate. Ditto my mom who never met a cooked vegetable she would miss & to this day considers KFC to be star fare! Hasn't hurt her in the longevity dept., either. However, she does adore raw veggies; at her last birthday, which I had Las Fuentes cater, I requested a plate of celery, baby carrots, etc., with dip -- the tray was empty at the end of the affair, which surprised the kitchen staff, which always figures that everybody wants sweet things!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?