Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

Today's Dead Zone Lesson

Conversation in Bathroom Today at 1210 MST [AZ does not observe DST] While Bathing Mom:
Mom:  "Where's Dad?"
Me:  "Your dad or my dad?"
Mom:  "My dad."
Me:  "He's dead, Mom. He died in 1980. He's been dead for twenty-six and a half years, now."
Mom:  "Where's your dad?"
Me:  "He's dead. He died in 1985, twenty-one and a half years ago."
Mom:  "Oh."
Pause.
Mom [comic tone]:  "Where are you?"
Me [serious tone]:  "I'm dead. I'm not sure when I died, but I think I've been dead for, oh, twenty, thirty years, give or take."
Mom [mock surprise]:  "Why didn't you tell me?!?"
Me [serious tone]:  "Didn't seem like it would make a difference."
Mom:  "You've got a point. It hasn't made a difference."
Today's Dead Zone Study Questions:
  1. Is Mom dead?
  2. How do we know?
    Later.

Comments:
Originally posted by Anonymous: Wed Oct 11, 09:11:00 PM 2006

Oy, I just posted a comment and then blogger deleted it...grrr...anyway, i think it is an interesting issue. When does someone with late stage Alzheimer's die - with their body or with their mind?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?