Friday, October 13, 2006

 

This is one of those "reminder to myself" posts.

    Intellectually, I suspect there is a connection between the episode of which I am about to write and my current, continuing Care Free existence, but I haven't determined this to my satisfaction. Thus, for my personal edification and continued consideration, I want to record the following:
    My intention, today, was to awaken my mother at 1400; exactly 12 hours after she retired. I'd been expecting her to rise earlier, actually, because she had such a good day yesterday and was energized right up to the point of retirement, 15 minutes before her light went at at 0200 this morning. I was neither, though, surprised nor disappointed that she took her full 12 hours.
    Right at 1400 I turned off the computer and exited the living room to head down the hall toward her bedroom. I was unexpectedly overwhelmed, though, by an intense wave of what I can only refer to as "longing". I use this word because I've been trying out other words since I experienced the wave and none of them seems to fit quite as well as this one, although this one also isn't an exact fit. "Despair" isn't even in the ballpark. "Angst" is too agonizing and, although the experience was so intense that certain aspects of "agony" might apply and, as well, I remain, for instance, internally tender in its aftermath, I can't really say it was emotionally or physically "painful". As well, I am sure it was not a bout of anxiety. I know what my anxiety profile is. This was nothing like that.
    I was so surprised and overwhelmed by it that I, literally "clutched my chest", clenched my fist and faltered a bit in the hall, although I registered it as much more of an emotional than a physical sensation. I remember, as well, uttering, "Uh!" when it hit me; as though it had taken away my breath. I stood in the hall for some moments, expecting the feeling to pass quickly so I could gather myself and awaken my mother. It was intent, though, on continuing, throbbing away at me, now a series of determined, powerful waves. I realized that my eyes were stinging with tears. I thought, Oh, well, this is not a good time to awaken her. I'll go back to the living room, sit down and wait for this to pass. How long could it take, a few more minutes?
    It was an hour, though, before I felt sufficiently free of it to awaken my mother.
    After about 15 minutes of reeling, shaking, and a bit of weeping, I began to try to figure out what was causing this. Although it could have been a hormone surge, despite the fact that I've pretty much left the worst of those behind, after a few minutes of not completely clearheaded thinking I decided to attach the word "longing" to it, although the sensation was much stronger and definitely different than any experience of longing I can remember, even as a teenager when "strong longing" seems to be the basis of much of one's emotional life. I constructed a catalog of items that I may or may not have a reason for which to long, divided them into small provocations and large provocations, then, summarily crossed them off the list for a variety of reasons. A few of the more potent and impotent possibilities follow:

Small Longings:Large Longings:    As it turned out, during the first part of her day, my mother and I received (we rent videos through a mail service) and watched a movie that is soaked with longing, The Lake House. Neither of us knew what it was about; just who the stars were. I rented it on the recommendation of a friend who saw it when it was in the theaters and mentioned it to me as a rental possibility, when it hit those lists, thinking Mom and I would like it. The movie was involving enough. Mom, though, managed to distract herself. The only aspects of the movie that kept me with it were the chemistry between Bullock and Reeves and the details of their odd relationship in time. I recognized, though, within a half hour, that the story was about longing, so I gave myself over to that aspect to see how well the category (without the distinction of being romantic longing) fit with what I had experienced earlier. It seems, yes, "longing" is a much better fit than any other term I might apply to what I experienced (after effects of which I continue to experience).
    I am feeling very comfortable with this Care Free mode in which I've discovered myself. But, you know, it's very unusual for me. Previous to this, I cannot remember being even slightly removed in my spontaneous reactions to people, circumstances, even objects and arrangements of objects and natural phenomena. Thus, my recent remove is a surprise to me; not at all unpleasant but constantly, well, forgive the repetition, surprising. As well, it feels good. But, beneath my conscious view of myself and my ability to adapt to this, I may be feeling some discomfort, maybe even guilt, which I haven't yet consciously registered. I don't know. Then again, it's entirely possible that this longing applies to something of which I haven't yet considered because it is out my perception of my character.
    One thing is certain; the initial experience was so unexpected, foreign and encompassing that I can still feel its effects in my solar plexus; and my fascination with it continues. I'm prepared for any discoveries it may catalyze, as well as the possibility that it may be an isolated, neurological reaction that will never be explained.
    We'll see. Or, at least, I'll see.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?