Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

My Own Private Dementidaho

    Since I was a child I've had a knack for juggling so many mental toys at once that early in my life I devised a method for tracking the next activity I'd planned, in case I should lose sight of it. I noticed that planned activity always correlates with something in my environment: One of my parents telling me to do something; being reminded of a task by seeing an item that I wanted to manipulate during the task; noticing one of my sisters doing something that I decided I also wanted to do; being in a room wherein I realized there was a task I intended to perform in that room (not necessarily, in fact, not usually, cleaning part or all of the room); having looked upon something that gave me an idea for doing something else with a seemingly unrelated item. So, when I lost track, I'd back track to where I was "last" until something in an environment sparkled with the glitter of my most recently desired task.
    Last night I caught myself in the frequent act of trying to remember, among the many items on my mind, what I had intended to "do next". My backtracking involved only one area, the laundry closet, at which I realized the task I'd next set for myself was rinsing the gunk out of the softener receptacle. As I sponged it out over the sink, I had a vision of my future backtracing self "when I get older, losing my [mind]" [thank you Paul McCartney]. I realized that instead of finding remembrance of the next task I'd set for myself, I'd probably notice memory glitter all over everything I encountered as I backtracked. My demented mind would successively focus on all suggested tasks, regardless of status. It would lead me through a series of areas, both inside and outside my home, as I wandered through what I no longer delineated as imminent, finished or discarded tasks, in the meantime continually reminding me of more tasks, until I'd be wandering in what I failed to recognize as unfamiliar territory, noticing other people's glitter, interpreting it as my own... Within hours, someone would notice me, loose on a street, unconcerned with who or where I am in their reality. Upon being approached I'd attempt, unsuccessfully, to explain the trail of mental glitter that had led to this point. I'd ask the concerned stranger for help in locating yet the next task reminder. My request would be, from the stranger's perspective, gibberish. The police would be called. I would be gathered into a comfortable holding cell reserved for mislaid children and dolts. My picture would appear on the evening news. It would be labeled that of a "A Probable Alzheimer's Sufferer". A plea would be broadcast: "Does anyone know this person? Will anyone claim this person?" Being, as I have my entire life, a determined loner, and being, as well, disheveled from the requirements of my quest, no one would recognize or claim me. I'd be transferred to the mental ward in a charity hospital. I would know I was in the wrong place. I would know I yet had a task to which to apply myself. I would spend the rest of my days wandering the ward looking for (and possibly identifying) familiar, glitter bedecked objects which would provoke from me strange, mimed behaviors, would spend my nights struggling against restraints, placed on me for the nurses' convenience, then be let loose during the day to continue my determined quest for my many holy grails.
    This scenario so delighted me that I couldn't help continuing to riff on the possibilities.
    Maybe I would be identified and returned to my home within a community of residents now cautious for my (and their) safety and comfort. To what other aberrant adventures might my unraveling, yet determined mind lead me?    Ah, Idaho. My past and future home.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?