Friday, October 6, 2006

 

Credit, yet again, where credit is due.

    If you've visited within the last hour or so, you probably noticed a sudden splurge of "test posts", all of which I just deleted. Since last night I've had a bizarre problem publishing to this journal. Everything appeared fine through Blogger.com, the posts showed up when I ftp'ed my site, and yet the posts, and comments, of which I am finally receiving notification, were not accessible through the web.
    I was about at my wit's end. The email problem was finally solved, but suddenly I had a more serious problem.
    Well, although the email problem was not something I could have solved, as it turns out, the access-to-published-material problem was. During the recent server upgrades (all of which are finished on my part of the server, thank the computer gods), my ftp server name was changed by one digit. Although, as you know, I was obsessive on checking upgrade progress, I didn't notice this change until today, after contacting everyone I could at GISOL, checking permissions on everything (which were all okay) and establishing a trouble ticket on it.
    It's solved, now, and, I have to say, GISOL was unsually courteous with me, even though, as it turns out, it wasn't their problem. So, I was lavish with my appreciation of their efforts, apologized for the unnecessary trouble I caused, and, as well, suggested that perhaps a tiny note should be inserted into their help files indicating that, when servers are upgraded, it's a good idea to check to see if one's server name has changed. This was something I had to discover on my own. While I am fairly competent with the basics (and only the basics) of server protocol, this one went right over my head until I'd tried everything else to solve the problem on my own, even after notifying GISOL of it, collapsed in frustration and then suddenly remembered, "Server name, oh, yeah, that's one more thing I can check." Bingo.
    So, I consider it an obligation, since I published the name of my domain server company in a previous post and slyly hinted that they created problems where none should have occurred (which, as far as the email problem is concerned, is true), nonetheless, they rose to this last very bizarre challenge and stuck with me, right through to my realization of what the problem was, fixing it, and notifying them of the fix.
    I could have done without the lost emails, none of which have been recovered. I know this because two of my visitors resent emails that they thought might have been eaten, and they were right. Thank you for doing this. But, you know, we all try, sometimes we fail, then we try again, and again, and, our failures do not diminish our successes. This applies to GISOL, as well as to me.
    So. Email service is fine. Publishing and access are fine.
    Mom is fine. I am fine. The cats are arguing with one another, as usual, although it's almost Sacred Nap time, so that should end, soon.
    I've got some serious updating to do over at The Dailies, which, I believe, also contains a "test post" that I now have to delete, but, I need to get back to The Mom.
    With a huge sigh of relief...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?