Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Until this morning, I forgot...

...that having a fax machine means that faxes can go both ways! I got the call this morning from Mom's doctor's office that Blood Test Results from 9/12/06 are up. I was going to have them sent through the mail, as I always leave stamped, self-addressed envelopes there, but realized, while on the phone with the doctor's PA, that I could have them faxed. So I did. They're posted, and the doctor and I are both happy.
    Some of the comments written by the doctor on some of the tests:    So, as my mother would say, she's good to go for another 999,999 miles.
    I've been noting, over at The Dailies (into which I have yet to record yesterday) that I've been able to coax her into daily movement, including trips out of the house, without hardly any effort. Yesterday, in fact, we went to two hardware stores (I finally found an appropriate manual mower) and Walmart. By retirement, though, she was pooped, so, by mutual agreement, I'm letting her sleep in today, although I'm not going to let her go past 1400. I'll also allow a nap, though. She mentioned, last night, that she feels as though "[I've] run [her] ragged." I guess I have, although it hasn't been hard. She's been more than willing. She even wanted to do the hardware store runs a day before we actually did them. Yesterday, as usual, she combined a lot of vigorous walkering with a lot of resting, but she was a lean, mean walkering machine. At the second hardware store, the guy who helped us commented on her energy and slyly asked me how old she was, appending, "...45 or so, right?"
    Mom gave him a "you do me an injustice, sir" glare.
    Taking my cue from her, I said, "Oh, she's 89 and owns every one of her years, believe me!"
    At which Mom said (despite the fact that when she's relaxing she thinks of herself as somewhere in her 30's), "Are you sure I'm not in my 90's?"
    So, I guess her perception of her age depends on who's 'watching' and what sort of an impression she wants to make! I figure, when she's relaxing with me or among people she knows well, she is more aware of her 'spiritual age', which probably is somewhere in the 30's. When she's in public and wants to wow her audience, she tries to tack a few years onto her chronological age. Funny, funny woman!
    Well, I think I'll head over and update The Dailies while I've got a few minutes.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Mon Sep 18, 06:12:00 PM 2006

Gail--Most excellent! Does your Mom have a standard walker or one of those rollators? My mother still won't use the walker in public, but I showed her some pictures of spiffy rollators and she appeared interested (mostly in the different colors and in the fact that she could sit down on them). Just wondered...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?