Saturday, September 30, 2006

 

I've been reporting...

...in the The Dailies over the last two days about Mom's right knee problems. Although there is the possibility that the vigorous movement Sunday and Wednesday were contributing factors, a severe pressure bruise on one side of her knee Thursday when she arose told me that quite a bit of it has to do with the position in which she's been sleeping, lately. Minor problems with her "iffy" right knee are not uncommon but these last two days have been more than that. A couple of times her knee has hurt so bad that she has been afraid to put any weight on it at all, including weight required to use the cane, so I've offered myself as her living mobility assistance device and she's accepted. As well, on both days I've administered minor doses of ibuprofen, which she's gladly accepted. This is unusual for her, so it's also an indication of how "iffy" her knee has been.
    Thus, movement has been cut back. We haven't yet gotten to the yard work. I was planning on "just doing it", but she used to be a yard work junkie and still likes the idea of supervising, so she exacted a promise from me on Thursday that I would wait until she feels up to supervising. I have no problem with this, since Yard Trash Pick-up is scheduled to begin mid-October. Otherwise, although she's been particularly sedentary and I've granted her extra night sleep over the last few days (including today...I just went in and roused her and she asked, again, for another "few minutes", so I'll let her go until 1230 or 1300, depending on her further responses). She's taking this time off her daily naps of her own accord. Since, when sitting, she forgets about her knee until she tries to arise, we've had a few minor faulty moves, for the most part things are going well. Last night they seemed to go particularly well. We'll see how her knee is doing today once she awakens.
    I've been experiencing some minor "I've gotta get out of this place" fits, but my usual Abandoning Fantasies have been helping and I'm not feeling nearly as overwrought today. In case any of my readers wonder why I always mention these episodes, even though what I have to say is pretty much the same from occurrence to occurrence, it is because one of the purposes of this journal is to keep tabs, in case I want to go back and check frequency and/or surrounding circumstances of occurrence of anything, including but not limited to episodes of feeling overwrought. This is why I freely indulge in much repetition in these journals. It's a part of my "Observe and Ye Shall Understand" attitude.
    The weather has been warm, sunny and dry, although it appears that we're in for a ten degree temperature drop within the next 24 hours. One weather caster has, indeed, predicted a cool, wet El NiƱo, this year. I'm counting on his prediction. I've been kidding Mom about this over the last few days.
    "Haven't we had enough weather [meaning precipitation] for you this year?" She asks.
    Never enough for me. "I'm counting on a Day after Tomorrow scenario," I respond.
    She has vague memories of this movie, mostly because, every time she happens to notice that it's playing on the cable movie channels, she indicates her interest, I click into the description, and she insists on watching whatever of the movie is left to see. Although it's one of the few disaster movies that holds her attention (I have to admit, it holds mine, as well, I love watching weather, even fictional weather), it's not one we'll be collecting because it's a cable movie staple; thus, it's rerun almost constantly.
    Time to check, again, on The Mom.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sat Sep 30, 07:47:00 PM 2006

Gail--Maybe one of those pillows you can place between the legs might help? My mother used one after hip surgery and would probably still benefit from it, now that I think of it.

I like disaster movies, too. I think I like the camaraderie of them best--people thrown together under stressful circumstances. The only personal experience I've had has been before a hurricane has hit. We usually get a day's notice, at least, so there's time to buy the batteries, tape the windows, etc. Strangers are usually more open and friendly at these times--waiting in line at the supermarket or the hardware store you tend to have these brief invigorating conversations with folks you'll probably never see again. In one sense, the occasion puts us in that olden place where we had to band together to survive, which can be fun if you're not facing anything too extreme!
 
originally posted by Mona Johnson: Sun Oct 01, 11:20:00 AM 2006

Gail,

In addition to the pillow Deb suggested, what about cold packs (available in drugstores, you keep them in the freezer) for your mom's knee? I too have knee problems, and sometimes icing twice a day keeps the doctor away....

About repeatedly talking about your less-than-positive episodes, don't forget that it helps your readers to know that they're not the only ones feeling that way.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?