Sunday, September 3, 2006

 

Ancient Ones and Caregivers, the world over,

are, tonight, in unison, I'm sure, astonished at the startling death of Adventurer Extraordinaire, Steve Irwin, a.k.a. The Crocodile Hunter. I have no idea how many other people are stunned by this man's death after being pierced through the chest by the barb of a sting ray, but I know for sure that the conversation my mother and I had after learning this evening about his death was one of many such conversations between Ancient Ones and caregivers tonight.
    Mom [upon seeing Steve Irwin's picture while the news of his death was being broadcast]: "Oh my! I know who that is! I've watched his shows! Are they saying he's dead?!?"
    Me: "My god! Yes! I know! You watch him almost every day!"
    Mom: "You make me sound like a fan. His shows aren't my favorites."
    Me: "I know, but you've watched so many of them."
    Mom: "I think what I like [notice the present tense] most about him is how he involves his whole family in his animal adventures. I envy them. That's how a family should be."
    Me: "You know, he was criticized for feeding a crocodile while holding one of his infants."
    Mom: "Oh, that's right. I'm sure he knew what he was doing. People can be so stupid when criticizing other people on the way they raise their children. They forget how wonderful it must be to be a child in a family like that."
    Me: "Well, he certainly went doing something he loved. I'll bet he wouldn't have wanted to go any other way."
    Mom: "Except, maybe, to be 95 and go like that."
    We both laughed.
    Me: "Yeah, wouldn't we all like to go like that at 95!"
    Mom: "Please don't take me diving..."
    Me: "...off the Great Barrier Reef?..."
    Mom: "...yes, when I'm 95, just so I can see what it would be like to die like that."
    Me: "You got it, Mom."
    So, it's very interesting for me to note that Mom's idea of the ultimate in parenthood is teaching your kids how to rock and roll. With crocodiles, in whatever form you pursue them. I have to say, I'm my mother's daughter in this respect.
    Well, Steve! Crikey! What a way to go! What a grand life you lived, right through to the end! Thank you, Steve Irwin, for your life. Marvelous show! I hope you find your adventures have only just begun.

Comments:
originally posted by Paula Martinac: Mon Sep 04, 11:38:00 AM 2006

Gail - Steve Irwin's death also struck me, even though I think I saw his show only once or twice. It does seem a fitting way for an adventurer to go. Lucky I'm not an adventurer because I have to say that being pierced in that way - I read it was like being stabbed in the heart - doesn't really appeal. :) I think "Thank you for your life" is such a great thing to be able to say when someone dies!
 
originally posted byMona Johnson: Tue Sep 05, 12:07:00 PM 2006

Gail,

When I talked with my friends about The Crocodile Hunter's death, it was in the context of "Geez, it's never what you think." We all fear dementia so much, but until now, I've never thought about death by stingray. Maybe the lesson here is that we shouldn't worry so much about the future.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?