Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Well, damn, what an interesting day it's been!

    You already know about Mom's truncated naps. Despite this, she remained up until just about a half hour ago, going strong. Last night she finally finished the thank-you note to MFS, so that went out today. I wasn't going to read it, but she asked me to check it to see if it was legible. A couple of curious things appeared in the note, but I'm going to give it a couple of days before I blurt them here. The note, is, after all, a personal correspondence to MFS and I don't want to profane the sacred before it's received (although, as you know, I have no problem profaning the sacred once objectives have been achieved).
    We didn't read aloud today, nor did she play Brain Age, nor did we play any games, but, somehow, we remained engaged and we both had a good day. This evening we polished off four more episodes of Northern Exposure, 4th Season, the last of which was an episode called The Big Feast, which centered around a lavish dinner hosted by the local fat cat, Maurice Minnifield, for all the residents of the area. My mother was riveted to the screen. I must have paused the episode a million times so we could discuss, at her prompting, the preparations and the event. When the episode was over, I should have predicted what came next: "We'll definitely have to have Christmas here this year. Invite everyone."
    I'm still feeling pretty good about this idea. I think, though, what might be best is if we take everyone who decides to show for dinner at the buffet at the Prescott Resort. I've heard, from both friends and strangers, that their Christmas buffet is to die for. Of course, they don't have much competition. We attended "the other one" some years ago and it left a lot to be desired. But, you know, at least I won't have to cook and everyone can enjoy themselves.
    NOTE TO MYSELF: A couple of things in What Are Old People For? continue to haunt me. I'm mentioning it here because my intention is to get back to these things and discuss them here. Oh, and I want to mention, Mom and I finally put the reading aloud of this book aside. I think she became impatient with it, as she often does with books that speculate more than cite. She, too, is overtly practical, apparently much more so than Dr. Thomas.
    We're running low on Costco supplies so I've got a run to make in the morning. Mom nixed the possibility of her accompanying me before she retired, so I'd better hit the sack if I plan to get that done before she awakens tomorrow, although I don't expect that will be hard, considering when she retired, tonight, and tomorrow's weather is predicted to be very similar to today's; lucky me! Mom just groaned at that possibility.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?