Tuesday, August 29, 2006

 

Trip preparations continue...

...most of which involve getting stuff together for Mom "just in case"...extra change of clothes, lots of extra paper underwear, water, meds, pillow and blanket, in case she decides to nap in the car on the trip back, extra oxygen, extra this, extra that...
    I noticed that Grand Rounds 2.49 (this and the next link have moved and have not been filled in with previous material, yet) picked me up again. For those of you who find it hard to make it through multiple submissions, this one is short, sweet and to the point, with an interesting emphasis on personal stories. I've also had some trouble getting into it. I managed to this morning, then my day started with a bang, so I wasn't able to leave a "thank you for having me" comment. Since then, every time I've tried to get in, I've had trouble; so, I guess I'll wait until we get back from the trip. If anyone from Protect the Airway checks in here, thank you for having me; very nice edition. Cool name for a medical blog, by the way.
    Mom's blood sugar this morning was much, much better than it has been the last couple of days. I'm not sure if it's anything I've done or simply that she was having some sort of internal challenge that is finally straightening itself out. When I took her BG this morning and noticed how much lower it was than the last few days, I automatically thought of an episode of Northern Exposure, can't remember which season, in which a traditional healer spends some time observing Dr. Fleishmann's healing techniques and, at one point, says [paraphrase from memory], "Oh, come on Joel. You know as well as I do that if a patient doesn't die, they often get better and we don't know why." I think the reason this bit of dialogue stuck with me is that I often count on this Order of Healing with my mother. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks until her doctor's appointment, and, of course, however it shakes out, I will be mentioning this episode in detail and researching other type 2 diabetes medications just in case but I'm hoping that this turns out to be one of those "Mom gets better and no one knows why" episodes.
    Better get back to tripping.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Bailey Stewart: Wed Aug 30, 02:32:00 PM 2006

I never thought I'd pack a "diaper" bag for my mother just for a trip to the doctor's.

Glad her blood sugar and BG are better.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?