Friday, August 11, 2006

 

I decided to e PCParade...

...regarding my review and the creation of an alternate logo for advertising my participation in the carnival. As those of you who have stuck with me for awhile know, when I send correspondence to people about issues mentioned in these journals I rarely receive much more than an auto-acknowledgment. Lo and behold, to the PCParade's credit, I received a real, live response from a real, live person who was the host of the parade episode to which I submitted, as well as the originator of the PCParade carnival! Since the response addressed the concerns I voiced in my review, I asked for permission to pass these responses on to my readers and received it.
  1. The host is not a physician, but a medical-consumer/client whose life is packed with medical treatment experiences.
  2. The low ratio of medical consumers to medical providers on the web was what prompted the host to write the blurb to my submission to which I took exception. I continue to believe that SND, the physician in question, deserved my detailed, scathing letter but I also agree with the host that, in most cases, calm, constructive criticism will usually, at this time in Medicine's development, go further to justify the case of the patient-consumer than verbal blood-letting. What is important is that medical clients speak up and try to do this in a way that will foster careful consideration rather than defensive strutting.
  3. The host mentioned that the all-over-the-map selection of submissions is occurring because both the carnival and the patient-consumer movement are finding their legs. The host believes that the wide acceptance latitude will allow for a forum that encourages as much participation as possible from as many medical clients as possible. I tend to agree with him. As I said in my response, "I think you've been wise in allowing a lot of latitude. I have fresh memories of my own intimidation at the necessity of facing medicine on my mother's behalf; I resisted it for some time and initially dreaded every instance when I realized it was necessary. It occurs to me that lay people have to get used to the idea of simply speaking before they gain enough confidence to speak to the point."
  4. The host liked my logo design.
    As well, the host's response included a link to the reaction of Hospital Impact, a blog devoted to hospital administration, upon noticing PCParade. Since some readers will recall that I have some successful experience with being heard personally (one example of which exists here), I am encouraged that medical clients/consumers are beginning to be heard as a group.

    I'm using 1500 as my mother's 12-hour sleep mark, today, and I'm closing in so, you know...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?