Saturday, August 5, 2006

 

About an hour ago I awoke from a dream...

...yes, I awoke very late, for me, again, but, in my defense, I didn't go to bed until around 0300. As well, the last time I looked at the clock while I was trying to get to sleep (no, I hadn't had caffeine since morning and I wasn't troubled...I just couldn't stop writing the initial draft of the book review in my head) was 0424. From then on I refused to look at the clock.
    Anyway, those of you who know a little about music and/or have ever played the guitar will find aspects of this dream amusing. The person to whom I wrote an e very early this morning may find this dream intriguing, since it contains an element which may have been triggered by my unconscious continuing to write that e (which was finished and sent, in reality).
    The dream took place on Guam outside of our family's home in Oceanview on Karen Drive. I think the significance of the location is that this is where I taught myself to play guitar in real life.
    In the dream I was sitting outside on the back stoop (where I often sat when I practiced guitar) writing a song as I strummed, lyrics and music sort of simultaneously. It was a minor struggle, but not a big deal. My problem was that I was trying to isolate which chord I should play as the second chord in the song.
    A woman approached me. She'd been walking down the street in front of our house and had heard me. She mildly informed me that the song wasn't original, it was written and recorded by her father, whose name didn't come up in the dream but both the song and the artist exist in real life although I don't think the artist has a daughter, or any children, although I'm not sure of this. I'll reveal the artist's name and the song in a minute.
    Anyway, in the dream, this didn't bother me. What then became important was figuring out the chord sequence. The chord that had me stumped was the second accompanying chord in the first line of the verses. The woman, daughter of the musician, wasn't musically oriented but she, literally, leant me her ear while I worked at discovering the missing chord. I finally decided, with her approval, that the chord I was looking for was "S1". I couldn't remember how to finger this chord, though. The woman produced a book with chord fingerings and, as I awoke out of the dream, we'd located "S1" in the book's index and were about to turn to the page with the appropriate fingering chart.
    If you know anything about music, you know that there is no "S1" chord, because there is no note labeled "S" and "1" would be the pure major chord, which doesn't take a numbered designation.
    The artist? Randy Travis. The song? "Forever and Ever, Amen".

Comments:
originally posted by Mona Johnson: Sun Aug 06, 04:41:00 PM 2006

Hi Gail,

What an interesting dream, with many possible interpretations! It's almost like you were looking for a next step that doesn't exist...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?