Monday, July 24, 2006

 

We've been working up to this for the past few days.

    Day by day I've managed to put it off, but it looks like I can't, today: A Sleep Day. When I awoke my mother at 1300 she resisted as though she was being led to the gallows. I finally got her up and into the bathroom at almost 1330. When I brought in the "instruments of torture", she announced that I wouldn't be needing those, she was going back to bed. My normal argument is that she can't go back to a wet bed with in wet pajamas. Today I didn't have it in me to argue any further. I stripped her bed, wiped it down with alcohol (which dries fast), changed out her bedsheets (which may mean I'll be doing two loads of wash today), made her drink 12 oz of water, lightly cleaned her torso, changed out her pajamas, directed her to sit back on the toilet twice, first because her bed wasn't ready and second because I insisted on the light wash, through which she grumbled, and, now, she's back in bed. I'll check on her at 1500. I didn't give her any pills. I don't imagine she needs any, at the moment.
    Think I'll catch up over at The Dailies. For some reason I'm unusually anxious about letting her sleep in, today, but I can't seem to prevent it. Over the last few days she's resisted awakening but once I've gotten her up, bathed, pilled and fed she's not been interested in going back to bed, except, of course, for her usual naps, which have been short, lately, as well. Despite my mother's professed love of heat, these last days have been hard on her, even though our house is relatively cool. Could be the humidity (through which I've had her on oxygen when sitting up over the last few days because her bronchial tubes stuff up considerably in this kind of weather) combined with the volatile atmospheric pressure. I don't think it's anything indigenous to her body. Oh well.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Mon Jul 24, 04:56:00 PM 2006

Gail--I know that I'm in another neck of the woods, but the humidity has that effect on me, too. You and Mom are entitled to bonus Sleep Days. I have one myself at least once a month, where I call in sick to work and pretend I'm in assisted living. I don't think there's any danger that you'll give into sleep completely, so it's nice to sink into it for a day and let it coddle you.
 
originally posted by Bailey Stewart: Tue Jul 25, 03:05:00 PM 2006

Mom was up today. Unfortunately, and I say that in the nicest way, it's just that I couldn't sleep last night and ended up with only about 1 1/2 hours of sleep. I could have used a long, guilt-free nap.

I'm with Deb, I don't think it hurts every once in a while.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?