Friday, July 14, 2006

 

We're experiencing our days of real heat for this year...

...as I write. Yesterday, today, tomorrow. Then, with luck, the monsoon reestablishes itself. Heat is relative, though, really, when I think about it. I can remember living in Phoenix year round without a/c, with only an evaporative cooler on its last legs to slake the shriveling heat. Until 1994, all my driving time in the Phoenix Metroplex (which was a lot...Phoenix continues to have a terrible transit system) was done in an unairconditioned car. I vaguely remember priding myself on my skills as a desert heat rat.
    I still haven't taken Mom in for her blood draw. I considered doing that today. She's doing fine. She also, day by day, has expressed a preference for not getting needle-stuck. Since things are going well, despite Mom's and my mutual sluggishness at the moment, I've been inclined to say, "That's fine. We'll see how you feel about it tomorrow." This "tomorrow", which is today, I'm not even going to suggest the blood draw when she awakens.

    Something I've been thinking about lately, triggered by a recent post (the link will take you to the specific post) at The Tangled Neuron: What this kind of caregiving does to a person. It's been on my mind because within the last month or so I've ventured beyond my own sphere, allowed myself to be introduced to a few other caregivers' journals and noticed, without much surprise, that all the caregivers writing these journals are daughters. The post mentioned immediately above is a review of some studies of caregiver health while the caregiver is on the job. The results look grim, not insignificantly more so for men who give care. When I read this post my interpretation of the material was tempered by information I came across over a year ago and wrote about at the time: A study of caregivers who were daughters to the Ancient Ones for whom they cared. A link to a review of the study is in the linked post immediately previous. In a nutshell, the study suggested that, "Well-being and ability to meet one’s basic needs are both higher for former caregivers than for non-caregivers."
    This is important information. What it tells us is that for most of us caregiver daughters, after we're put through the ringer we pop back into shape, typically emerging in better shape than if we hadn't gone through the ringer.
    I cannot deny that caregiving for Ancient Ones, especially those in the throes of dementia, is rigorous. It arouses feelings of anger, depression, stress and exhaution that are unlike any experienced in any other type of work. These feelings are especially tricky for related caregivers because the act of caregiving forces the caregiver to face and deal with (or not, depending on the circumstances) relationship baggage on the spot. They are compounded by both the actual lack of reliable help and appropriate counsel and the caregiver's perception of this lack. It's important to know, though, that there's an excellent chance that, when all is said and done, you'll not only be all right, you'll be better than you would have been if you hadn't been a caregiver to An Ancient One.
    One of the points made in the research cited in The Tangled Neuron is that it appears as though caregivers to the demented are at higher risk for "cognitive problems". This is scary, indeed, so I'd like to temper the fear with some of my own observations:    Well, I've gotten that out of my system for the time being. I have a feeling I've got a few more things to say on this but caregiving is distracting me (uh oh, Dr. Vitaliano, you'd better stop me before my caregiver cognition endangers my mother) so it's possible that this post will be edited for inclusions. In the meantime, it occurred to me that it would be a good idea if I listed, to the right in the Mom & Me Too Special Posts section, the post which discusses the positive study, if for no other reason than that I tend to go back to it every six months or so and, with it listed, I won't have to search for it every time I want to refer to it.
    Whew. Glad that's over.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Fri Jul 14, 05:28:00 PM 2006

Gail--Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this. I think the caregiving phenomenon puzzles the cultural soothsayers: there's little money in it (as you mention), there's no way to measure "productivity" because, at least when the recipient is an Ancient One, you don't cure them or prevent death, and because the impetus for it goes counter to so many of the "healthy" commandments we see in the media (eg take care of yourself, etc.). And because of this, we may not even know what questions to ask caregivers in order to assess the positive side of the experience.

I was unprepared for all the pressures on me (from different sources) to move my mother to a care facility. I think most of these sources would look at me and see someone who is tired and stressed, and they want to remedy that, for my good. But I'm not a masochist or a saint--I happen believe that my mother should be in her own home, and I am able (because I'm single and live nearby) to enable her to do that for a time. If I had kids, or lived far away, I might not be able to do that for her. Obviously I'm acting on certain principles I hold and I'm fortunate enough to be able to do it without totally reconfiguring my life. We each have a particular combination of ideals and practicalities to work with, and sometimes finding that fulcrum--where one balances the other and directs your path--is the ultimate satisfaction.

And as we've talked about often, we get something from the deal, too. I have a different relationship with my mother than I've ever had--sometimes frustrating and sometimes rewarding. I also face what I thought I'd never be able to face in my life, and I deal with it. Sometimes badly and sometimes well. But often when I've had some idle time--driving home, for example--I realize that this period in my life is changing me in a big way--I can't tell you how, exactly, but I know that it's a watershed, one I never would have predicted and "what does not destroy me makes me strong."
 
originally posted by Bailey Stewart: Fri Jul 14, 08:02:00 PM 2006

I'm fortunate in that my mother's doctor has not pushed for a nursing home. He knows, and I know, that my mother has done so well because she is in her home - to have moved her would have made the disease progress much faster (we've only had problems in the last three months of a 5 year run). I was also fortunate in that I am single with no children and was able to stay in the home with her, and had a part-time job with a boss who is very understanding about the whole situation.

I do have to say that there is one negative - no health insurance means that I have not had the important medical care that I've needed - 5 years without pap smears or mammagrams (with a history of breast cancer in the family - not mom, but extended); no dental - and my teeth are crumbling. Physically, I'm a mess. I also came in to this clinically depressed, so it's done nothing by exacerbate the problem. Will I be okay mentally when it's done? I don't know - you've given me hope about that. Will it make me stronger? I think so - I'm holding on to that. Good post.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?