Friday, July 21, 2006

 

Regarding commercial caregiver blogs...

...specifically those at Alzheimer's Disease Information: I spent some time last night reading through both the "civilian" blogs at that site (Dorian's and Lydia's), then spot read the other three, all of which I consider "commercial" productions. I'm not fond of any of the blogs. The personal experiences and the advice seem canned, although there were a few moments when I thought, "ahhh...yes, there's the caregiver who is writing this blog". None of them, as well, have that, "ohmygod, guess what happened today...and I wasn't prepared" quality which is the music of private blogs. But, I'm still pleased that caregiver blogging has reached the commercial sphere. From what I understand of the blog sphere, commercial blogs are more, rather than less, likely to drive people to seek private efforts. By their "canned" quality, I think they create a hunger for the real thing. That's pretty much what has happened in the world of political blogs. First came the personal ones. Then, commercial political enterprises attempted to co-opt private blogs. Then, in response, private political blogs exploded in opposition to commercial attempts at opinion making. Now, private political blogs are regularly cited in commercial political blogs, in an attempt by commercial blogs to remain "hip" and attract traffic, however momentary. The same thing happened with tech blogs. My guess is that this will also happen with caregiver blogs. The initial private caregiver blog mushroom has already begun. I notice that it seems to have started this year; the majority of private blogs to which I've been directed were started this year. The commercial site also started this year, just a few months behind the private caregiver blog mushroom. This is why I celebrate commercial attempts to enter the caregiver blog sphere, and am listing them. The more caregivers click into them, the more likely caregivers will feel as though they need to tell their story on their own terms, I think.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Fri Jul 21, 05:30:00 PM 2006

Gail--I hadn't noticed this, but you're right on. Speaking for myself, I think I'm one of the many who responded to the explosion of blogs and blogging software in general over the past year (you were way ahead of the curve!). I still can't see myself having an "everyday" blog--I do need a topic--but then again, I never thought I'd write a blog at all, a year ago. I pray that this incredible access does not become co-opted by greedy internet providers and other interested parties because the only things that will survive this are the canned blogs. But I still don't think that will happen. The canned blogs may make more money but they will never be as cutting edge as the grassroots blogs.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?