Sunday, July 23, 2006

 

Just a quickie to note that...

...my mother was not up to Denny's yesterday. Her back continued to bother her and she was not interested in using the walker, remembering that her usage of it tends to aggravate the condition. I'll be so glad when the monsoon (to which I always look forward and usually enjoy) is over. The atmospheric volatility has been particularly acute, this year, and just won't leave my mother's arthritis alone.
    We spent the day doing her hair a couple of times while I tried to figure out exactly how I'd successfully installed the tiara a few months ago. I came to the conclusion that the mysterious rim material actually does stretch. We'll definitely be going to the wig shop to find a better one and have it fitted to her.
    She also noted, while I was surfing for old movies, that one of the cable channels was sponsoring a "Brady Bunch Festival". I had no idea she even remembered this show. I don't remember watching it at the time it originally aired. My "Brady Memorabilia" comes from, well, Brady Memorabilia. I note, with relief and chagrin, that the channel (which was up when I turned on the TV this morning to check the weather forecast) continues the festival today. If my mother remains disinterested in Dinner at Denny's (why she loves this restaurant, I can only guess; she's always been a fan of low budget family restaurants, though; maybe it's that she loves watching families in action and Denny's always seems to host a particularly rambunctious bunch of families), which is likely, I attempted to rouse her at noon, her 12-hour-mark, even reminded her of our Denny's date; she wasn't having any and asked for "another hour"; at least she'll be well entertained. Anyway, I love the conversations we have sparked by these family comedy dramas...always about memories of our own family when we were kids, or her family when she was a kid, or speculations on what it would have been like if she'd had the "dozen" she would like to have had.
    Life With Temporarily Outside Directed Cats has settled down quite a bit. I'm going through a nominally low period but it's not worth talking about as I'm handling it well. Just one of those normal blips, probably aggravated by the weather: Brain arthritis, I guess.
    Eight minutes to Second Ascension Attempt.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sun Jul 23, 07:05:00 PM 2006

Gail--My mother and father were overly fond of any "cafeteria style" restaurant. If it had a tray it was okay! I wonder why this is? Oh, they loved Dennny's-style places--pancake houses, Howard Johnson's--but there was something irresistable about having to truck your own food around. I remember my father having to go to NYC on business often when I was a kid and my mother, sister and I would go with him and hang around in the city. Lunch was always at Horn & Hardart--where the food items were in little isolation booths that you opened--precursors to vending machines. What a hoot.

I'm sorry to hear that both you and Mom are low--but I know you're right about the ebb and flow of things. I find myself so much more influenced by the weather at this point in my life. Hang in there.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?