Wednesday, July 5, 2006

 

It's official, as of July 2nd we've been embraced by the Monsoon.

    I thought it was too early. Then I thought it was coming from the wrong direction.
    The Monsoon is always aftercast. It cannot be considered Monsoon weather until the winds cooperate, coming from the proper direction, and the average dew point three days in a row is 55%. I just heard that this all coalesced on July 2nd.
    Although it's been cool and humid and there's been a bit of spitting today, no releasing rain, yet. Some years we don't get much of that. I'm still hoping for this year.
    We're having company again; tomorrow through Saturday. I know, not much notice, but I'm still not upset about what often feels like an intrusion. This time, it doesn't. The short notice was accidental. MPS tells me she left a message for me last week asking about tomrrow through Saturday; probably during a time when I had the phone ringer turned off. I think the message was left somewhere besides here. I have all the back logged messages since 5/14/06 and no such message exists. Unfortunate, but she called today to ask if I'd "thought it over" and that message I received. And returned.
    I'm feeling so mellow about the visit. It will be good for both Mom and me to relax and banter with MPS and MPNC. Even when I'm internally stirred, we always have a good time. And, since my explosion late this winter, I feel so much more inclined to let the chips fall where they may, offer no apologies and require none.
    I'm really looking forward to the next two days. During the conversation with MPS today I talked about how I'm not wound up or stressing, that everything's been pretty peaceful, lately. She misunderstood me and thought I said something about getting cat food for Mom.
    "Yeah," I said, "MPS, you wouldn't believe how much more peaceful it is now that I've got Mom on cat food."
    She and I riffed on this for a couple minutes until we were laughing so hard we couldn't talk.
    I could use some absurdity. And some long, hard, cry-and-wet-your-pants sister-laughter.
    Besides, they have presents, she told me. Lots. Anyone with lots of presents is welcome any time.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Paula Martinac: Thu Jul 06, 04:51:00 AM 2006

Gail - I know exactly what you mean about those laugh-till-you-cry sister moments. My sister and I often have them about something related to our parents that seems "very serious" when it happens, but later, when talking about it, just makes us laugh and laugh. Hoping the visit affords you more laugh-filled moments!
 
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Thu Jul 06, 06:02:00 PM 2006

Gail--I second Paula. The Absurd can be our savior, and no matter what else is going on, it's usually a blood-relative who "gets" it the way you do.

It's interesting to hear about monsoon weather--people in these parts seem to believe that AZ is hot in a dry way, so this is a revelation. Of course, AZ is big, so I don't know why I'd think that the weather would be the same throughout the state (DUH). My excuse is that I come from RI.

Have a wonderful visit with your sister.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?