Monday, July 3, 2006

 

It feels like Saturday to me...

...I guess it is, sort of. I'll almost be sorry to see the second Sunday going, although, well, there's very little difference between weekdays and weekends, here, unless we put our shoulder to the wheel and, sometimes, we don't bother.
    Surprisingly, Mom did not play Brain Age yesterday. We both forgot it. We were too busy with Gone With the Wind, doing hair, celebrating Finally Bean Soup Day...I know Mom watched a fair amount of television but it was pretty interactive. We chose our shows carefully.
    I was going to make the Cherry Almond Scones this morning but decided to wait, see how Mom's BG is. There's no way to hide the smell of baking scones, as there is hiding a vacuum wrapped package from Costco. I think, as the spice (got to have a spice) I'll use mace. That should word well with the cherries and almonds. I hope I find time to report the recipe, once I create it. I'm going to use a full-butter recipe...the liquid will probably be cream, maybe half and half. They'll be rich. I need to remember to increase the liquid only half as much as usual, as I'm sure the flour I'm harboring has plumped up considerably over the last week or so. I hope the new bag I haven't yet opened and didn't store in an airtight contained isn't infested. Funny, on Guam we sieved out what we could and figured the rest was sterilized in baking...a version of the "free protein" joke. Here in the States I am so unused to food invasions that they freak me and I am just as apt to throw out 10 lbs. of flour as I am to shrug my shoulders and sift out what "free protein" I can.
    So, I'm feeling very good today. I hope Mom is, too. If she doesn't arise on her own before, I'll call her at 1300, her 12 hour sleep mark today.
    I have no idea what we'll do with the day. The truth is, the humidity and afternoon downpours are not inclining Mom toward out of the house activity, which is fine with me. Hold on, let me shamelessly check the TV schedule (you can see what kind of a day I'm counting on)...Hmmm...TCM has an Oz festival going on today, starting at 1600, ending at, oh my, 2300 with a silent Oz short from 1910. Whoa! This is History of Oz day! Interesting choice. My goodness, the mail's here! I thought today was a holiday! Well, as far as I'm concerned, it is for us! So there!
    It's still early, here, well, relative-to-Mom-ly speaking. I'll see what develops. Guess I should check to see what was in the mail. I wonder how many people are working today.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Mon Jul 03, 06:16:00 PM 2006

Oooh, cherry almond scones... I can actually smell them baking all the way to my house... Two of my favorite flavors! I miss TCM. I have it at my house but my mother has "bare bones" cable, no TCM. I tried another movie--The Family Stone--but she disappeared after about a half-hour. She returned at one point to announce that she thought it was "slow going." I'd give it a B--I always get a little squirmy myself during movies with a Christmas theme. Maybe I WILL try "Brokeback Mountain" with her tomorrow...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?