Sunday, July 2, 2006

 

I'm taking it slower than usual, today...

...letting Mom sleep in, for her and for me. The day is beginning to take on the "July 4th" tinge. Already, two horse rigs who missed the Gail Gardner turn off to the rodeo grounds have turned around in our yard. We're handy for that. I'm sure some kind of July 4th doing is happening about two miles up the road from our house at Thumb Butte park; judging from the heavier than usual traffic and the absence of the usual weekend hiking and biking groups who take on Thumb Butte for exercise.
    Yesterday was a blur. I didn't take stats so I'll report on it here. Mom was up fairly early...around 1230, I believe. I was ready for her.
    Normal breakfast; only two meals but no missed meds or supplements. What did we have for dinner? Oh, yeah. Ice cream. Her choice. I had to go out and get it. She first wanted milk shakes, but changed her mind when I told her I was going to Baskin Robbins. Then, later, around 2330, she ate an entire bag of popcorn by herself. We watched old movies on TCM. She took a nap but it was almost not a nap.
    She was pretty sedentary. She played Brain Age at the table after breakfast while I cleaned up, did chores, watched over her shoulder. She did pretty good. She was, again, delighted that the device "remembered" her. I suggested that she take on another reading aloud segment but she protested that she wanted me to sit by her while she read. I had an undivulged flashback to when, prior to entering formal schooling, I'd sit with my mother and read out loud to her but seemed unable to do as well when we weren't sitting side by side. Sort of like leaning on someone else's brain power. She got into my profile once then admitted that she was snooping when I tried to explain that she was in "the wrong profile". I have no idea if she played any games in my name. I'm sure she did it by accident, at first, or maybe out of a diffused curiosity, but she also discovered and mentioned to me that "the head" (meaning the computerized version of the doctor's head) says different things to different people.
    She went to bed about 0030 this morning. Light out at 0055.     I went to bed soon after. Didn't take any naps yesterday. Didn't even think about napping. Maybe I'm getting rested.
    The rest of the weekend, however, still seems pretty vague to me. Not sure what I'll do with it...maybe just a bunch of get-'em-out-'o-the-way projects. I haven't decided whether to turn up the ringer on the phone. I'm not feeling standoffish, exactly, but I'm not sure I want to hear the phone ringing if I'm not ready to take a call.
    But, things are going well with us.
    Probably...
    ...later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sun Jul 02, 06:02:00 PM 2006

Gail--I just love your Mom "hacking" into your profile on Brain Age!! She is a hoot! And I would say that your money was WELL spent on that.

It's funny about the 4th--this is Sunday night (the 2nd) and every yahoo in my neighborhood is setting off fireworks (which are illegal in RI). One of my doggies can't settle down--she's gotten a little skittish in her canine Ancienthood. I like hearing that you're just going to roll with the punches today--that's what I did. A little of this, a little of that. Then my mother and I each had a muffin from Dunkin Donuts for supper. The weather here today was stifling and I think all the nuts come out when the sun goes down on this kind of day. The ones that have been holed up with the A/C and a cold one now get all jacked up because--hey--this is the NOISY holiday! We're supposed to do this! It doesn't matter that they wouldn't know the Declaration of Independence from the warranty on their gas grill...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?