Sunday, July 30, 2006

 

Fully absorbed, I think.

    It didn't take much time for me to absorb the shell I needed to create for a little while and look outward, again. Since sometime yesterday afternoon I've been feeling much more available. I haven't gotten back here, though, for a couple of reasons. First, my mother has revived as I have. Today, in fact, although she retired at her usual time with her light going at at 0100 this morning, she was up and ready to begin her day at 0900. As well, I received, Friday evening, a book I'd ordered: What Are Old People For? by William H. Thomas, M.D. I'd heard about the book maybe a year ago; mixed reviews, depending on who reviewed it and to what purpose, which is typical with "trade" books. I'd avoided finding a copy of it simply because I wasn't sure I'd ever find the time to read it. Because, though, lately, I've been thinking about why I insist on devoting the resource of myself to my mother's life even though society seems to agree that what I'm doing is one of those activities to which only fools rush, and have been considering, too, what the value of lives such as my mother's is, despite the fact that, superficially, her life appears to be of little value, I decided to order the book and work on reading it in the hopes it would push me beyond some of the confusion I'm having with these topics.
    I'm a little over a third of the way through it so I haven't developed an overall impression, yet. My mother, though, noticed it while she was watching, hmmm...something on television yesterday, can't remember what, and I was reading, expressed interest in it and I decided to also read it aloud with her. She and I are into it by 18 pages. I will continue to read ahead.
    At the moment, though, everything else is being put aside as we finish her hair (she just arose from her nap) in preparation for watching Bette Davis in Jezebel on TCM.
    Looks like today is going to be a well engaged day. Wanted to check in, though, and leave evidence that I'm doing better. I'll be back, of course...
    ...later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sun Jul 30, 06:33:00 PM 2006

Gail--I hope Mom had on the red dress to go with her Jezebel hairdo!

I love Bette Davis. I love Now, Voyager and Paul Henried and the cigarettes...
 
originally posted by Paula Martinac: Tue Aug 01, 07:16:00 AM 2006

Hi Gail - I'll be very interested in your review of the book, when you finish - I'm especially wondering if it discusses alternative living arrangements. The way we segregate our old people (even the able old, in "retirement communities") strikes me as hideous.
 
originally posted by Bailey Stewart: Tue Aug 01, 08:02:00 AM 2006

I'm glad you're doing better - I think we all go through those moments, it's only normal. Sometimes I think it's just about the only normal thing we do.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?