Saturday, July 1, 2006

 

The cat leakage is stoppered...

...with infant-toddler gates across the offending areas. This turns out to be much, much cheaper than having doors designed, built and installed. I don't know what I was thinking, but that would have been a major decorating project.
    Taxes have been completed and, as it turns out, since the feds owed us a small and unusual refund, this year, by simply paying the same estimated taxes this year as last, we've ended up keeping up nicely with our taxes; we're even a couple hundred bucks ahead of ourselves. That's good news.
    The shopping trip was necessary but I'd forgotten about the three day parade (or, parade condition) going on downtown and at the rodeo grounds through July 4th. Great shopping, though. No one was anywhere I wanted to go. Not even at the feed store, which surprised me, since they're a major sponsor of the rodeo.
    On my fateful way through town, I noticed lots of people wheeling Ancient Ones around in chairs. Old age is a big deal, here. Aside from the fact that this area hosts an unusually high percentage of retirees, The Pioneer Nursing Home is located here, which houses all of Prescott's living pioneers. While I was waiting for revelers to cross, I briefly considered bringing Mom down to stroll through the festivities. I'll ask her, when she arises, which I'm leaving up to her, today, within reason. She'll probably say, "No," but, you never know. She might like the idea of being wheeled around a celebration. At any rate, we've got four days of celebration from which to choose.
    I'm sure there'll be fireworks sometime this weekend, or, maybe not. We're on severe fire restrictions. At any rate, if the area decides to hold them, I'm sure they'll be on a plain, probably in Prescott Valley, and I doubt we'll see them from here. We will hear gunshots, though, lots of them. Despite the fact that the forest service has posted electric signs on all forest roads, including ours, blinking NO SHOOTING. You don't have to legislate against that which no one does. Oh well. I just hope we get through it without a fire.
    I discovered that I apparently loaded the Appleworks database portion to death with the database for the Journals TOC. Thus, I am laboriously transferring this information to a spreadsheet, so it can be read into MYSQL in preparation for building the TOC page. In the meantime, I may go back and pick up some lost TOC ground. These sound like good projects for this weekend. I think it'll be low key, over all. Maybe one trip to the grocery, Mom invited but not required. Maybe I'll pick up some of those cranberry scones. Maybe I'll make some. Better idea. I need an orange. Maybe some lemon blueberry scones with allspice, I've got everything for those. What about cherry, what can I do with the dried cherries? Ah. Cherry Almond scones. Perfect. Maybe I'll make those when it starts raining.
    Mom's scalp could definitely use a few days' rest from hair cement. This weekend would be a good weekend to give her a couple of scrub downs and rest her scalp. And, this weekend might just be an excellent Easy Bean Soup with HoneyBaked Ham weekend; you have to hunt a little ways on from where the target lands you. The entire recipe is contained in the last paragraph of that section. It's that easy.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sat Jul 01, 06:38:00 PM 2006

Gail--Well, you have a great weekend. Monday was actually NOT a day off for me, but I ended up taking a vacation day. As I type (9:30 PM) I can hear the fireworks--I'm sure they'll be heard for the next three nights. Congratulations on the baby gate! I've made great use of them over the years. I think I've told you that I have two collies, and my guys have taken after their mom--they just don't like to travel too far. I could put a paper bag on the threshold and they probably wouldn't go past it.
 
originally posted by Paula Martinac: Sun Jul 02, 04:39:00 AM 2006

Gail - Amazingly, old age is a huge deal in Pittsburgh, too - this county is among the "oldest" (meaning number of seniors in the general population) in the country. There are excellent tax breaks and educational opportunities for retirees; but the downside is there's no good public transportation system, and it's a place where you need a car to get around, so lots of old folks are still driving. (I've had several near-accidents with people well over 80.) I hope your town has a better system in place, because that seems to be crucial in an "aging" city.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?