Tuesday, July 11, 2006

 

Bad Caregiving? Maybe.

    Last night, just before retiring, a friend asked me to edit 50 pages of her novel, the swatch of which has been solicited by a publishing house as a possible candidate for publishing. Before 2002 I used to do this a lot. Then, you know, things got hectic and "taking in work" didn't work out.
    It's been so long. I so enjoy doing this sort of thing. I'm familiar with the material and wanted to see it in its latest version. And...in a lower voice...ooooh, again, I find myself needing to steal some time alone (stealing it being different than taking it, as stealing it implies that I might be letting my care recipient down as I snatch time from her). So, I'm stealing it. Despite that my mother has earned sleep merits beyond her wildest dreams over the last two days. Despite that a word from me, especially at this time of day, and she'll usually rouse. Despite that rousing is good for her.
    When she is up, she is alert, although physically sluggish. She's showing good posture upon awakening and when bathing, too. I know she needs more stimulation than I've given her yesterday and today. I know she should be up. I know I should be engaged with her. Yet, here I sit, the editing work done (and enjoyed ever so) looking at the clock as it blips to 1:49, thinking maybe she'll feel like sleeping till almost three again today.
    Just thought I'd mention it.
    Later.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Tue Jul 11, 05:35:00 PM 2006

Gail--I'm going to say GO FOR IT. Let your Mom have her bonus sleep time during the monsoon weather, while you take a little time to do something you enjoy. Caretaking goes both ways, you know.
 
originally posted by Karma: Tue Jul 11, 05:45:00 PM 2006

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who needs to take time for myself (away from taking care of my mom who has Alzheimer's).
 
originally posted by Bailey Stewart: Thu Jul 13, 02:07:00 PM 2006

Mother has been sleeping a lot lately and I have to admit that I've let her. Quiet time. Time to get something done. Do I feel guilty? Yes, somewhat. Afterall, I did make an effort to keep her awake - she just won't. I'm sure, though, if I had really pushed she would have stayed up. Maybe ...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?