Saturday, June 24, 2006

 

Well, I totally missed my chance with Mom, today.

    I slept out in the living room last night, not only so I could keep an eye on the cat-through-the-screen developement but, as it turns out, I took an hour's nap last night while Mom was zoning on TV and awoke to a swarming and splitting of colonies of carpenter ants on our ceiling. Don't ask me why, but it seemed to me that sleeping in the living room would cause the carpenter ants to say, "Nope, that's the lady who kills us. Avoid going through this house."
    So, I was up early again this morning, although somewhat later than 0300. Our couch is a fold out futon and, folded, makes a comfortable bed for a short person (and at least one cat), but doesn't afford the same depth of slumber as my own bed. I checked in on Mom at 1100, her 12th Hour, and she asked to be allowed to sleep. No problem, I was getting tired, myself. Wow! A nap two days in a row!
    I awoke around 1430. Mom had, apparently, been up for about two hours, eaten about a quarter of a Costco sized jar of dill pickles and a few slices of sourdough bread with butter, "because [she] couldn't find the cheese," apparently lounged in her rocker watching me sleep, then headed back to bed. The second time she opened the bathroom door roused me.
    I almost insisted that she stay up; then, I discovered she'd had a good morning, was well-hydrated, well fed, had entertained herself (her tabloids were rearranged at the kitchen table) and was ready for a nap. She apparently hadn't leaked through last night, although I had her change out her underwear and pajamas, just in case.
    So, technically, she's napping now. Yes, I'll be seeing to it that she bathes, later.
    I've been researching hardware stores online. We need a new lighted ceiling fan in the living room; a new light fixture in the kitchen; I need a particular type of Arcadia screen door made to resist cats, which, so far, I'm not sure exists. I may have a door company down the street design one, if possible. I'm thinking the old time metal screen would work, if it's still available. I think I'm coming into a Maintenance Month.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sat Jun 24, 05:43:00 PM 2006

Gail--I'm sorry about the carpenter ants. Just what you need.

Your cat story is a riot, although, again, I'm sure you could do without having to redesign the doorways around the kitties. My work friends and I have wonderful running narratives about the ingenuity of our pets, and, I must say, cats are more entertaining in that respect than dogs. I've never owned a cat, and hearing about their agility amazes me. My friend Ann couldn't find one of her cats for almost two days until she opened one of the kitchen drawers and there she was. She says the only thing preventing cats from taking over the world is their lack of opposable thumbs.

Dogs are so transparent. Very little subtlety. My male collie, Dustin, formed an early attachment to the welcome mat I kept inside my front door. It wasn't soft or fuzzy--it felt more like a tire, but he was fascinated with it. Every night after I'd fall asleep, he'd lug it up the stairs and play with it for awhile in the bedroom, then fall asleep on it. Another night I awoke at about 2 AM to hear my hairdryer going in the bathroom. My other dog, Lily, had pulled it off the shelf and the switch must have gotten knocked on. By this time she was downstairs under the dining room table, hoping I wouldn't notice.

I can tell you that metal screening is still available at Home Depot. I'm not sure if it requires special cutting tools and spline, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?