Saturday, June 24, 2006

 

Oh, forgot to mention, regarding managing electrolytes...

... in my mother's diet:
  1. My first consideration is always to manage a health crisis.
  2. My second consideration is my mother's wishes regarding troublesome doctoring and her inability to cooperate with some medical procedures. Case in point: My mother, at her initial diabetes diagnosis with her second doctor, was given a choice of whether to manage her diabetes. Because she liked the doctor (he was wonderful, too bad he retired) she decided to "give management a try". It actually took us about a year to really control it, and I let her take the lead. I didn't think she'd ever go cold turkey off the Hershey's Almond Kisses. But, she did. Then I had to learn how to control it without glucophage.
    Although #2 sometimes trumps #1, this is the general order of importance. Managing electrolytes in my mother's diet is subject to the above two considerations, as is managing sugar.
    This is also why I keep meticulous watch over such things as "Skin & Circulation", and even take into account "Will & Spirit". A feisty spirit usually means a quick recovery, if recovery becomes necessary; and, as well, allows for indulgences, one of the things that I think contributes to her longevity.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?