Thursday, June 8, 2006

 

My morning has been busy with an interesting task.

    I'm currently looking up medical terms used in an article sent to me by the author of The Yellow Wallpaper. It's from Annals of Internal Medicine and can be downloaded and accessed for free in pdf format as Nun Study.
    Many of you may have heard of the study, as it has been mentioned in a variety of sources throughout the years. I vaguely recall hearing about it some time ago. In a nutshell: The study continues to follow 678 nuns, an extremely homogeneous population, since 1992. All the women participating in the study have allowed their brains to be examined after death. This particular article briefly and lightly focuses on the preponderance of dementia within the population and some of the results for a few of the sisters' brain examinations after death, correlating them with clinical measurements of dementia throughout their participation in the study.
    Although my investigation of and thinking about the article and study are only in early stages, I want to record some of my initial impressions and thoughts here for my own further access and whatever interest they may be to my readers:    The article does not include comparison with any (probably very few in existence at this time) studies of other populations or the population in general. Thus, it makes no apologies for it's lack of conclusions. It was sent to me in response to my wonderings, a few posts previous, about dementia, especially among people who follow spiritual disciplines.

Comment that couldn't be posted while Blogger's been down:
Gail--I've just read your post of today. One thing that pops into my mind immediately is a recent theory that Alzheimer's and diabetes are linked. I think this is based mostly on the observation that cholesterol-lowering meds also seem to ameliorate the dementia. I wonder if it's really true, and if it's connected with dementia caused by strokes or Parkinson's? My mother was never diagnosed with diabetes but was on cholesterol-lowering meds for many, many years. Interestingly, her (previous) GP suddenly took her off them because her liver function readings were high. Looking back, I do think the dementia symptoms preceded his taking her off the meds, but now that I think of it, right afterwards was when we started noticing symptoms we could not ignore. Her diet has always been heavy on the carbs. If I weren't here she'd eat cookies and candy all the time. And my mother's physical health is excellent--she's not even on blood pressure medication.
posted by Deb Peterson on 6/08/06 @ 18:55

Response to comment that couldn't be posted while Blogger's been down:
In response to your comment above, you've given me the idea of a memory rundown, probably using the journals, comparing the control of her diabetes and her dementia at any given time.
I do know that prior to being, once again, diagnosed as diabetic and deciding to take it as seriously as she could, I often wrote about her sugar daze. Later, after the essay to which the previous link refers was written, I remember mentioning, probably in the histories somewhere, that her doctor of the time mentioned that her what I call her "sugar daze" would lift. I remember being relieved that he immediately understood to what I was refering with that phrase; it must, I figured, be a common phenomenon.
This, however, took place in 2000. By April of 1997 I was conducting all her life business, except collecting her tax stuff, which I undertook the following year, because of her dementia.
I also know, from blood tests residing with her previous doctor, that she was indeed not diabetic in 1997, 1998 or most of 1999. It developed within a six month period and began to show in the latter half of 1999. She, however, decided, for a year, not to have the pills refilled and to ignore it. That wasn't dementia, that was orneriness: She constantly talked about that physician having diagnosed her as diabetic, giving her a pretty sturdy regimen of glucophage, the now famous advice, "You can eat all the popcorn and peanuts you want" and sending her home. In the early summer of 2000, though, my mother developed a raging bladder infection. She refused to go back to the same doctor, who she knew was going to scold her for not controlling her diabetes, not believing she had it. After spending day after day washing her bed and her chair cushions in her wake because she had absolutely no control over her bladder (this was before she needed Depends) I found a geriatrician and set her up for the appointment about to take place when I wrote an essay about her sugar daze.
posted by Gail Rae on 6/24/06 @ 23:40

Comment that couldn't be posted while Blogger's been down:
Another idea I've been mulling over regarding dementia and spiritual practice--I've had a few discussions with my clique at work about Medieval mystics (Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Siena), and how we in this day and age would probably just put them on thorazine to "cure" this. The psychosis of one age might be the mysticism of another. Closer to our situation--there's a famous Medieval text called "The Booke of Margery Kempe" and Kempe is not so much a mystic as she is driven by what are seen as troubling convictions. I wonder if that might be analogous to dementia? What I'm thinking is--aside from psychopathic, sociopathic behavior--so-called "mental illness" is mostly the mirror image of the norm. Whatever the "norm" is. I'm not saying that it's ALL relative, but I'd be interested in hearing the ideas of a culture that values its Ancients, like Native American culture. And Buddhist--as far as I know the Chinese and other Asian groups are more respectful in general of their oldest members. So maybe in this roundabout way, spiritual/cultural settings have an effect on what is considered dementia??
posted by Deb Peterson on 6/08/06 @ 18:55

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Thu Jun 08, 07:01:00 PM 2006

Gail--I'm just testing. I sent you some comments regarding dementia and diet in my long reply to your last email. But I just wanted to see if your comments were working.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?