Friday, June 30, 2006

 

Mom decided, after dinner, to play a little more...

...Brain Age. This time she tackled yet another set of math calculations, then decided to do some reading aloud. Wow. What a difference from how she used to sound! She approached the task with confidence and, although her confidence was knocked around a little, it exited the ring under its own steam. She spoke very low (which doesn't matter on this one...the emphasis is on how fast you read it, although this aspect escaped Mom). She often hesitated or mispronounced words, thinking they were other words. She stumbled over learning how to automatically adjust for light while holding the LCD screen. I probably should have hooked her up to oxygen while she was reading aloud but didn't think about it, thus, when she finished, she was a little breathless. On the second to the last page, she held the stylus down on the "Next" button too long and skipped over the last page. Her confidence, though, emerged unscathed.
    The second time around with the device I noticed that after she works her brain for a little while she experiences a subtle euphoria, just as she would if she exercised her body; well, theoretically on that one; in fact, she no longer experiences immediate euphoria from physical exercise. She is more likely to experience physical tiredness...the euphoria, or, in her case, moving more easily, takes a few days to kick in and is so subtle you'd have to know what you were looking for to notice it.
    I worked ahead a little, just to see what kinds of exercises are added. Some of them she clearly won't be good at. Some of them I expect her to ace...drawing pictures of things, for instance. She notices detail well.

    In answer to Deb's confusion about the game "aging" the player [see comment for the second to the last post]: According to the game, the "optimum" age for the brain is 20 years. Thus, if you are using it for training, you are attempting to receive an age closer and closer to 20. Having your brain age graded as lower than your chronological age is "good", regardless of your age. Having it graded as higher than your chronological age is "bad"...in my case, considering that my "lowest" brain age score, 70, is almost one and a half decades higher than my chronological age, this is "very bad", indeed.
    As to Deb's concern about it being not quite suited to her mother, I would guess that there are a lot of the demented, including some who are demented-lite, for whom this would not be suitable. I have to say, if my mother had not expressed an interest in it (the expression of which she no longer remembers, but that's neither here nor there) when she originally watched the 60 Minutes segment, I don't think I would have considered it for her. As well, if I'd understood that the console was necessary and this is the pricey item, when I first noticed that the game was sold without a console I would have done a little more research and may not have gotten the game, even considering her expressed interest. Thus, while I had to make a snap judgment on suitability for my mother, I could, easily, have analyzed myself out of the purchase if I'd been my usual meticulous self. That would have been a shame, as she really likes the thing and may be able to play other games on it; although I will submit the games, prior to buying, to a very severe review.
    My guess, from what I now understand of the game is that many people, professionals included, might not have considered my mother a good candidate for the game. She can, after all, seem pretty spacey at times. And, I'd have to agree that some of the tests have proven and will prove to be beyond her. But, within her limitations she is feeling neither powerless nor disappointed when playing the game, so, in a complicated, convoluted way, it suits her. My guess, too, is that it will often be considered completely inappropriate for people for whom it may be only partially appropriate.

    Finally, I am not concerned about whether the game renders my mother brighter, more intellectually flexible, keeps her brain in as good shape as it can be. What I like about the game is that Mom is enjoying it. It's giving her a kick unlike anything she's experienced in a long time. This pleases me. This is what I was hoping for.
    In fact, her enjoyment of the game and it's ability to allow her to feel competent actually over-performed for her this evening. Within a half hour after having played the game the second time, she was feeling really good, really powerful. She decided, while I was out of the room doing some chores, to pick a bug up off the ground. She ended up sitting on the ground. When I reentered the living room she had not yet discovered that getting up was going to be a struggle.
    I stood in the dinette watching her as she explained how she'd gotten where she was. I knew she would not be able to get up on her own. She, however, hadn't yet realized this.
    "Well," I said, "let me help you."
    "No, no, no, no! If I can get down here, I can get back up! Don't help me!"
    "Okay."
    She struggled until she was on her hands and knees.
    "Can I help you, now?"
    "Don't try to pick me up! You can't!"
    "Well," I said, remaining calm, "Actually, I can pick you up, but that's not necessary. I want you to crawl over to the steps and scoot your butt onto the first one." These are low room entry steps.
    Which she did.
    I reached around her and pulled her up off the step. It took her about thirty seconds of hanging on to me to realize that her legs still worked.
    Although I didn't make a big deal out of this, I realized, immediately, where she'd gotten the confidence. From the game. We talked a little about Confidence Transference and the fact that having confidence in one's mind says nothing about how one's body is going to work.
    She agreed.
    I'm making a mental note to myself, though, to be especially vigilant for the first hour or so after she's played the game. If it hasn't exhausted her into thinking about a nap, maybe this would be a good time to get her out on the driveway moving around, distracting her from deciding to pick bugs up off the carpet.
    If this game becomes popular, it will be interesting to track its use through several different decades of the middle-aged and the elderly, following the progress of several different "types" of us, including those of us in states of dementia. One thing I've already figured out: Deciding if the game is "successful" will involve levels of subtlety not yet considered by its promoters.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Sat Jul 01, 06:18:00 PM 2006

Gail--You are just right on target with this. Your first cue was your mother's interest--I know I perk up whenever I hear my mother express an interest in doing something new. Of course you know that there are always possibilities you can't anticipate--both good and bad--but I think you have to take advantage of the opportunity to satisfy an expressed interest.

It sounds like there are some terrific benefits, so far. And I've got to say, many folks would not be as sensitive to them as you are--so your Mom is very lucky to have you! Picking up on the enhanced physical energy is great. I do think that one big difference between your Mom and mine may not have anything to do with the nature of their dementias--my mother has always "gotten" thinks pretty easily, she was always sharp, and the down side of that was in her not cultivating a tenacity when challenged intellectually. I think she was always content with what she could comprehend, and now that those skills are eroding, she doesn't know how to push herself.

Your Mom sounds like someone who might have set the intellectual bar a little higher than mine. I can tell from this post that she still relishes the challenge. The fact that she works on it without you urging her (just like her wanting to pick herself up after falling) shows a self-motivation that was always a bit weak in my mother. If my mother couldn't do something successfully on the first pass, she'd probably drop it.

I think I understood from the outset that you were doing this not to "improve" your Mom's score, but to give her something she enjoys. Sounds like that's happening!
 
originally posted by Mona Johnson: Sat Jul 01, 07:39:00 PM 2006

Gail,

I read your posts about BrainAge and was thinking how frustrated my father would have been with this game. He had one of the first computers in the area where we grew up, and was always learning about technology. But for the last year or so of his life, simple tasks like turning on the radio became difficult [so you are right that BrainAge is not suitable for all].

This made me think about Deb's and Paula's discussion of negativism and seeing the glass as half empty. In the same way my dad's period of difficulty with technology was due to his disease, maybe difficulty enjoying life is also a function of disease. At the very least, I think we need to try to not take any negative feelings or comments personally.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?