Thursday, June 8, 2006

 

Last, late, check-in.

    Happy Birthday, MFS! Do you realize, as of May 22nd, we're all in our 50's now! [Imagine musical note and think "Late Twilight Zone Theme"]Do do do do, do do do do![Imagine musical note and stop thinking "Late Twilight Zone Theme"].
    Looks like tomorrow isn't going to be Blood Draw Day, either. Mom noticed and remembered the weather cast, tonight. As she was retiring and we were discussing what clothes I should put out for tomorrow I suggested her green ensemble, which I call her "go to meetin' suit" for her Blood Draw, after which we'd go out to breakfast.
    "It's going to be raining tomorrow, don't you think we should wait until Friday?"
    "Well, Mom, it isn't going to rain until the afternoon and, anyway, when did the weather ever keep you from wanting to go to a restaurant?!?"
    "It's going to tomorrow."
    So, I guess she's planning on spending yet another day "under the weather", regardless of what the weather is. She even coached me that she'll be wanting to wear her "winter" flannel pants, which are actually pajama bottoms, tomorrow. I have no idea what her sleep plans are, but whatever they are I'll just go with them. Until I get nervous.
    Earlier today, June 7th, that is, I reminded Mom that it was her mother's and one of her granddaughter's birthdays.
    "Oh, that's right," she said. "I wonder where the folks are, now."
    "In Heaven, Mom," I responded, very matter of factly.
    She adjusted her focus and said, "Oh, that's right. Well, I hope they're having a good time. I suppose Dad's looking for a place to fish. I hope he doesn't insist on taking Mother along." Very matter of factly. Whereupon, she reminisced about the time her dad insisted on taking her mother along on an early morning fishing trip. Her mother brought a lantern on the boat so she could read while he fished. He never insisted on her company when he fished again.
    That's it. I'm heading for bed.
    Later.

Comment that couldn't be posted while Blogger's been down:
If I had a nickel for every time my mother wanted to talk to me about what heaven was like...! Usually in terms of what the loved ones are doing up there and very often she wonders how old we'll all be. At this point I have to stifle myself--I once tried telling her about my view of the afterlife, in which there was no time or space, and the look on her face stopped me. So now we're back to thinking about my father playing with his model trains all day up there.
posted by Deb Peterson on 6/08/06 @ 17:05

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?