Monday, June 12, 2006

 

About 0300 this morning...

...my mother awoke to go to the bathroom. This isn't unusual. Normally the routine is:    Last night, though, circumstances changed. Before going to bed I accidentally made myself a cup of caffeinated coffee rather than my usual decaf, the warmth of which usually soothes me into slumber. I realized this when, upon retiring, I simply couldn't get to sleep so I arose to confirm, from the location of the coffee scoop, that I'd raided the wrong canister. So, when I heard Mom rousing to her bladder, I was up and on my well caffeinated feet before she rose from the edge of her bed.
    "My, you're up late," she commented.
    "Well, I was actually in bed, but I accidentally drank caffeinated coffee and I can't sleep."
    "That'll do it," she said.
    Once we were in the bathroom she said, "I couldn't sleep either."
    This isn't exactly true. When I checked on her before retiring she was completely relaxed and gently snoring. I didn't question her, though. "Well," I said, "I'm thinking of getting back up. Want to join me?"
    Spriteliness overtook her. She practically raised off the toilet on her own in it's wake. "You know, I love staying up late."
    "I know. Let's see if we can cause some trouble while everyone else is still sleeping."
    "Good idea."
    We were up until dawn, maybe a couple of hours. We talked, a little, about those dead relatives she'd been dreaming into life while she was sleeping. We searched the cable for Bette Davis movies or something else equally fun. No luck. I suggested we read a little further in The History of Old Age. We decided this would be a good time to examine all the plates in the book that we usually skip. Thus, we ushered ourselves into an extemporaneous conversation of what old age looks like to those who are yet to be Ancient. We also shared our sense of our own devilishness for being up at such an unseemly hour in excited spurts of conversation about how everyone else was dreaming the world into existence, wondering if we were in a "zone" where we could alter their creation without them realizing it, stuff like that. At Mom's suggestion, since our being up shimmered with nefarious possibility, we also had another piece of the luscious spice cake I'd made yesterday afternoon, this time without whipped cream. Thus, I'm expecting her blood sugar to produce a fireworks display when she finally awakens. What the hell. That's what nights like last night are for.
    I didn't bother to check the clock when we finally retired. It wasn't yet light but we could see the intention.
    Thus, it will come as no surprise that I'm letting Mom really sleep in. I figure, at about 1500, if she isn't up on her own, I'll call her. The business to which I'd planned to attend is languishing in that late-start area of muddled magic that plays havoc with the best laid plans (of mice, men, mothers and daughters). I'm considering today part of an extended Sunday. I imagine my mother will, too.
    Nights like last night don't happen often for us, so I like to take advantage of their air of mystery. The day after is rather like the day after a slumber party, groggy but satisfying, especially if you have some time to hash over the dregs of the party with your party mates.
    Lucky me, I live with my party mate.

Comments:
originally posted by Deb Peterson: Mon Jun 12, 03:28:00 PM 2006

Oh, Gail, what a complete pleasure to read this. First of all, I'm like you at night: one eye open for any activity from the other bedroom. In my case, I'm alert mostly to my mother's "time lapses", where she'll get up at midnight, start making her bed and getting ready for the day. At first I used to demand: "Mom, what are you doing?" but I've gotten better at it. Now I'll get up and say, very casually, "Mom, it's only midnight. You can sleep a little longer." And so she goes back to bed. At other times I'll hear her walking about urgently, and usually she's looking for me (even though I'm right across the hall). So reading about your night habits made me nod.

What a lucky mistake, to have drunk the caffeinated coffee! There's something about late night that's magical. To be safe in your house, enjoying the unexpected time with your Mom, while everyone around you sleeps...it's like finding money! Reading this, I believe that there's something bigger--karma or God--whispering in our ear. "Drink the regular coffee," was what it whispered to you (!) and that set the stage for your noctural tea party. Of course, you have to be open to it all, which you most certainly are. And times like this are your reward.
 
originally posted by Anonymous: Tue Jun 13, 08:44:00 PM 2006

This night sounds very sweet. I love late nights and can relate to the feeling of peace around me during them. While everyone sleeps I feel very alive and spontanious. Like you too, I don't have many late nights. But that just makes them so much more special.
Love, Andrea
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?