Monday, May 8, 2006

 

In the spirit of "Criticism when criticism is due, praise when praise is due"...

...I have some praise for NFCA. I received my second newsletter from the organization on Saturday. What a difference from the first I received and the hard copy materials sent to me upon registering! It was packed (as much as a 16 page newsletter can be) with articles that I actually found interesting that I believe would be valuable to caregivers:    Believe me, despite how it may seem when I rip into a program or service, I am capable of more than criticism. I believe that both praise and criticism are necessary in order to encourage high levels of performance from 'helper' organizations. I am more than pleased to mention that NFCA is capable of recognizing that detailed information on all aspects of caregiving, both positive and negative, is necessary; that "personal empowerment" can often mean that organizations seek out and offer both information and services to caregivers, rather than expecting them to do it all themselves; and that self-advocacy is often not only beside the point but adds frustration to one's life when one's family and community refuse to make themselves aware of the caregiver situation within their own borders and turn away from obviously needed support.
    I feel better about NFCA. I'm not taking back any of my criticism [most of which is contained in the following posts: 1; 2; 3]. I think it's necessary for the entire group of organizations that purports to help caregivers. But I'm more than willing to recognize when an organization steps up to the plate and looks beyond caregivers to the families and communities within which each of us serves our care recipients.
    Kudos this month, without reservation, to NFCA.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?