Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

"Well, then, let's get to it!"

    So, I got a full eight hours last night, despite not feeling like going to bed until about 0300 this morning. Yes, that means I awoke a little after 1100. As my mother was sitting on the edge of her bed sneezing.
    I wasn't in bad mood mode but wanted to try to avoid it. I dressed and hurried into her room.
    "Are you planning on going back to bed." It wasn't meant to be a question.
    Mom looked up at me, shocked. "Well, it looks as though I'm up, doesn't it?!?" As an aside, I have no reason to believe that she probably doesn't remember pulling herself into a sitting position on the edge of her bed.
    No matter. I try to scare her into going back to bed, even though I can clearly see that her bed is wet. It won't matter, I think, for an hour or so.
    Mom looks back at her bed. "I'm not getting back in there. It's wet."
    "Well, Happy Fucking Easter," I said. Even now as I type this I'm laughing uncontrollably. Totally inappropriate. I wasn't in a bad mood, I was feeling a bid impinged, that was all.
    Doesn't matter. Mom was having none of it. She snorted at me.
    "Look, Mom. I need a good hour before processing you. I need my coffee. I need my time alone. Nothing is ready. I need to set up a couple of things...
    "Well, then, let's get to it!"
    So, I did. None the worse for wear, I might add.
    So, the truth about Easter this year is, after three meals in a row featuring ham, I'm already hammed out. I'm sure my mother isn't, but, this morning, when I mentioned dinner, I suggested the already-roasted chicken we have in the fridge, rice, broccoli, Hollandaise sauce, fresh, and she agreed that, "...it might be nice to have something besides ham, tonight."
    And, the cherry pie. I freeze the rest of the Tiramisu and hope for the best.
    It feels like a genuine holiday, today. Very nice. Inside and out.
    Mom was up pretty early, as you may have guessed; exactly 12 hours after retiring. Ready to go. I think the extra iron is a good thing; although her hemoglobin had come up a point in two weeks on it's own. She's napping now. It's allowed. I notice that it is Sacred Nap Time for All Cats and Cat-like Creatures, of which my mother is surely one.
    She's been glued to the TV all morning. The National Geographic channel broadcast several of their Science of the Bible series, upon which Mom was hooked. She made it through the last before The Gospel of Judas, which she remembered having seen, offered her a graceful excuse for "a break".
    I'm slowly but surely catching up to myself in TOC cataloguing. I'm polishing off February, now. I'm excited.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?