Friday, April 7, 2006

 

Well, I'm going to have to break down and buy a stand-alone copy of Excel...

...I can see that right now, if I'm going to continue working up comparisons of her stats. I tried in three different spreadsheet software systems, Open Office (Windows XP), Microsoft Works (Windows XP) and Appleworks (Mac OSX Tiger), all of which had Auto Chart Functions and only Auto Chart Functions, and none of them was capable of producing the graph I wanted and calculating and inserting assumed data based on the nature of one's parameters (which one is able to set manually). I tried in the three companion database programs, as well. None of them is even close to being as manipulative as Excel. Not that I have been campaigning against Excel. I've just never owned it. I've used it at work(s).
    Long story short, I had to draw up the graph by hand and do calculations separately. I didn't bother to enhance the graphic by superimposing units of liquid measurement and time so that a more accurate smooth time would be insinuated. I had to confine data to what could be read on one landscaped 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper (for faxing). As well, since I had to create the graph in a low level graphic environment (finally decided on Appleworks Draw), save it as PICT, then convert if from PICT to JPG in order to keep distortion at a minimum. There is minor distortion, as it is. You wouldn't notice it, though, if you weren't looking for it.
    So, the announcement is that I just uploaded Mom's Anemia Profile: 7/27/00 - 3/24/06.
    I'm looking at it as I write. Although it's crude it does the trick. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got the idea. I don't think anything would have surprised me and this doesn't. I remember all the peaks, all the canyons and all the intervening plateaus. I just didn't think the up and down dips would be quite as obvious. You have to understand, though, that the "dates" section is not organized in standard months but rather by the dates of her blood draws, which are not completely orderly. Patterns, though, do emerge:    It's been yet another mellow day, and yet another Saturday in a row begins tomorrow. How nice! I think I'll be doing some maintenance and polishing off some essays and addressing reminders over the weekend, probably tonight, too.
    Anyway, have at the graph. Sorry for it's primitivity. I'm one copy of Excel from doing what I wanted to do. I just couldn't wait.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?