Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

Two bright yellow daffodils.

    I noticed them this morning in the middle of the front yard, underneath some indigenous brush, on the street side of the retaining wall. We have loads of irises, white and purple, more every year. We've been sprouting the odd, unnamed bulb flower in the spring in front, too. Sometimes I find them in those specialty seed catalogs. A deep, deep purple one with stars comes up every year. We've had a bright pink one with ball shaped flowers on the stem, too. I've always wanted daffodils. I plan to plant them every year and somehow each year passes me by without daffodils. So, I am thrilled to see these coming up. One of the reasons I love this piece of property is that it has so many delightful surprises just beneath the surface.
    Although Mom awoke late, again, I let her sleep in for no other reason than that I was enjoying myself cataloguing posts for the TOC and forgot about the time. She moved very slow today but stayed up, barely napped, read "her" morning newspaper cover to cover for the first time since we started the subscription last Thursday, relished it so much she had to be reminded, twice, to attend to eating her breakfast. Mostly watched TV and read this afternoon. Got very excited about the National Geographic Channel program The Gospel of Judas so watched television intently right up to it's debut in this area at 2100.
    I'm not sure why, a minor reason, I'm sure, but toward the end of her evening I was in a snotty mood. Right after much anticipated TV show ended, I began preparing her, abruptly, for her leg rubdown. "I want you to know," I announced, "this is probably going to be a short one. I'm not in the mood, tonight, but I know this is therapeutic."
    She was undaunted.
    So, I started harrassing her to drink her coffee; that she needed to move more, she's too stiff...
    ...to which she sighed with exasperation and said, "I know, I know," to be interpreted, "We've gone through this before..."
    Suddenly I realized how absurd I was being and started laughing. "And, by the way," I added, "you cannot do anything right tonight, so don't even try."
    "I'm getting that feeling," she confirmed, wryly.
    From that point on I was much calmer and, in fact, we had a usual leisurely session, cut short by Mom needing to get to the bathroom. Now.
    It's supposed to rain tomorrow in the afternoon, cloud over in the morning. More later in the day and evening. They're showing pictures of lightning. I've got some errands to run early in the morning, then I should be home for the rest of the weekend.
    Anyway, back to cataloguing. When I catch up to myself I stop and create the TOC page.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?