Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Laid back days continue...

...although I am aware, today, that it is not the weekend.
    Of all the journal maintenance projects I've got lined up, I decided to begin the one I've talked about the least: Augmenting the Archived Journal and Histories with more material from e's to fill as many of the reportage gaps that I can since 1994. No, I didn't have the internet, then, so I wasn't writing anyone much. But from 1999 on I did, and I wrote about my mother to several sources.
    Some of the more interesting posts    As you can tell, I am having yet another day when I'm not keen on getting Mom up, so I'm waiting her out. She's coughed twice since around noon but nothing else.
    I'm also awaiting the blood test results from her April 4th appointment. I called for those on Friday and everything was okayed. Dare my optimism leap out of bounds and hope for those results to be in the mail (which has not yet arrived) today?!?
    We are receiving the morning paper, now, from Phoenix, not the local paper. I restarted it at Mom's request. She is actually reading it every morning. Her tabloids are still necessary; there isn't much that catches her eye in the paper. But it pleases me to see her bent over a morning paper, scouring it for tidbits.
    Curiously, I am barely reading it. One article caught my eye headlining one of the inner sections scattered about the table yesterday morning. This led me to discover that she is amenable to suggestions on what articles to read. She took note of my interest in the article, about megapolitans, I think that's what they're calling them, stretches of cities within a 400 to 500 (or more, I think) radius that function as a mega community and bleed into one another, geographically, economically or both. I summarized the article by first reminding her of our family members' many trips between Prescott and Tucson and the notice we took, from 1973 (when the trips began) on, how every year Black Canyon City and Phoenix would become "closer" and so would Phoenix and Tucson.
    Yes, she remembered.
    This article, I told her, is about this phenomenon, how it has occurred and what it might mean to the delivery of services and the well-being of the population contained within the megapolitan.
    She nodded. Said, "Oh," with interest.
    When I finished the article and dropped the section, article up, nonchalantly on the table, Mom took the section and started reading the article.
    Damn, what could be keeping the mail?!? Weird. I hardly ever freak about mail delivery. It's usually too early and too often for me.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?