Monday, April 3, 2006

 

In case you're wondering...

...about the source of my statements regarding the risk to the kidneys of sulfonylurea diabetic drugs for Type 2 diabetes, specifically glipizide ER, there are actually several sources, including the hand out that our Pharmacy attaches to each prescription I get (yes, I read these hand outs). It's something I've known for some time. The most complete and easiest understood source which applies specifically to my mother's renal profile, though, is connected to the immediately previous link, is contained in the fourth paragraph from the top and reads as follows:
GLIPIZIDE is metabolized (broken down) by the liver and the metabolites are excreted by the kidney. Therefore, GLIPIZIDE must be used with caution in patients having, or developing, liver disease. It must also be used with some caution in patients with decreasing kidney function. However, the metabolites are relatively inactive, so GLIPIZIDE might be the sulfonylurea of choice in patients with mild to moderate loss of kidney function.
-- information from JJSDiabetes, a blog about diabetes kept by a Dr. Shelmet's office
    This is what leads me to believe that glipizide is at this time and will remain the best choice med for treating my mother's Type 2 Diabetes. I am, though, very curious about the possible discussion her PCP and I will have about exenatide.
    Busy, busy, busy.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?