Wednesday, April 26, 2006

 

A fair amount of what's been going on with Mom and me the last few days...

...is covered over at The Dailies; the highlights and categories, anyway. For a day or so I worked hard on finishing the TOC compiling. I've still got a little left to do. There have been errands, and Mom's been up a lot despite her very late awakening times. Her retiring times have been equally late. Her energy level's been good, although she is still refusing to go out. She continues to love receiving the morning paper. Funny, though, she doesn't pay that much attention to the Sunday paper. I finally asked her, this last Sunday, why she's ignoring it.
    "It's too big," she said.
    This clued me that if I shave it down, take out the classifieds, sports section and most of the ads (there are some that she likes) before she awakens, she might be more prone to read it.
    The main reason I haven't been here, though, is that I am, once again, having a minor health problem that is affecting the way I feel over all. I am prone to boils. I inherited this delightful little tendency from my father. I'm pretty good at preventing them. For decades I've dosed myself generously with a variety of antibiotic spices and supplements (garlic; all kinds of peppers including ground spice and chopped fresh peppers; all kinds of onions; potent one or combo spices like saffron, curry mixtures, etc., detoxifying teas) and, of course, I see to it that I drink lots of water. My grooming habits also take this tendency into account. All these usually work. It's been several years since I've had a boil. Can't even remember the last one. Toward the end of last week, though, I noticed a suspicious, angry lump developing in a very odd place (I usually develop internally caused boils at pressure points, like my ass, for instance, or the inner side of joints like underarms, the backs of knees): The outside of my upper right calf, centimeters from the same place I developed my Guam Sore when I was 9. For those of you who aren't familiar with Guam Sores, they occur when you are bitten by a mosquito, you scratch it open, coral dust settles into the wound, begins to grow and develops into a boil-like sore that takes several days, soaking and antibiotics, both topical and internal, to heal. From that point on you typically are no longer tasty to the mosquitoes on Guam.
    Anyway, I've been treating this boil carefully and thoroughly but it's taking a long time to drain and heal. I've also been considering it a localized infection. Today, though, as I was soaking the boil, cleaning it and applying more drawing salve (it's just about clear; the core has been expelled and the area of infection and pain has significantly reduced since yesterday) I realized that it's probably the reason I've been feeling so low physically, lately, which also tends to cause me to feel temperamentally removed. I've been easily tired for several days, haven't felt much like eating, have taken naps every other day, which is really unusually for me, and have not been prone to initiate any excitement around here for any reason. The two times I headed out to do yard work I way overestimated the sturdiness of my available energy and left my projects before they were finished.
    The crux of my realization that the boil was having an effect on my overall health and well being was when my mother mentioned, tonight, in passing, "You seem to be feeling much better, tonight, than you have for several days."
    Yeah. I do. And, frankly, I didn't realize it until her comment.
    The truth is, this episode worries me a bit. The last nine months or so have found me sloshing around in a swamp of colds, unusual physical irritations and then, well, then last week I develop a boil. This tells me that I am seriously run down, more than I previously thought. I'm not sure what I can do about this but I'm thinking about it.
    So, anyway, I expect I'll be picking up my usual reporting schedule here as my body ramps itself back up.
    Later.

Comments:
Hello! can you please tell me more about Guam Sores? I believe my son might have some and without health insurance, Id like to know if there are any home remedies that might help. Hes 9.
 
Hello, Tarako!
Sorry it took me so long to notice your comment and respond to your question. I've been offline for the last few days.
Regarding Guam sores: I sympathize with the expense of health care. At the time that I was 9 and had my first (and last) Guam sore, back in 1960 or 1961 (not sure, I was 9 from Oct 1960 - Oct 1961), health care was cheap and my sisters and I, all of whom developed Guam sores, were put on penicillin and given a non-oil based antibiotic cream that was a prescription and, I assume, was probably bacitracin (which was also only available by Rx at that time). Unfortunately, many Over the Counter antibiotic ointments of which I'm now aware are often oil based preparations.
When I was a teenager on Guam I knew a kid whose mother took him to a local healer for a Guam sore. Although I'm completely unclear about the exact details, I do know that the healer prepared a concoction from the wings of a local butterfly which healed the sore. I wish I could tell you what type of butterfly it was and how to contact a local healer; unfortunately, I have no idea; it's been decades since I lived on Guam.
Since Guam sores are so prolific, especially among children, check around with neighbors and friends. Surely some of them have been able to heal Guam sores without going to the doctor.
Just out of curiosity, I googled "Guam sores". It seems that they are described as staph infections and also called "impetigo", which is defined as staph infections on the surface of the skin. At this link is a review of impetigo. This sub-link describes its usual treatment. It sounds very much like Guam sores. No mention is made of coral growing in the sore, so this piece of conventional wisdom in my post may be incorrect.
I also looked up the common topical ointment used, "mupirocin" (also called "bactroban". In addition, This additional link indicates that it is NOT an oil based preparation, which is good. Unfortunately, the first link also mentions that it is a prescription medication.
Here is a link that describes, in pretty good detail, the sores and home treatment for impetigo. It sounds exactly like treatment for Guam sores (without oral antibiotics, of course). Be sure to try and find an antibiotic ointment that is not oil based (if it is oil based, the ingredients will probably list petrolatum or mineral oil. The reason you want to stay away from oil based ointments is because they don't allow the sore to breathe or dry out, both of which are necessary for healing. If you're not sure if a specific over the counter antibiotic cream contains oil, ask the pharmacist. If it seems as though you can't find one on the shelf, check with the pharmacist to see if they have any OTC antibiotic creams behind the counter that aren't prescription creams and don't contain oil or anything else that prevents the sore from breathing and/or drying out.
You may also want to try to find an herbalist. I understand there are a variety of topical herb preparations and teas for drinking that have antibiotic properties, although I don't have any specific knowledge about this.
I'm so sorry I couldn't provide more information for you, but I hope the above information helps. Watching a Guam sore develop and fester is scary, to say the least.
 
Gail, Thank you so much for you reply. When I Googled Guam Sore, I came across your blog, and pretty much that was all I had to start with. But after much research on diffrent skin disease and infections, I felt the closest match to what I saw on my sons ankle area was impetigo. I have been cleaning with peroxide and using a triple antibiotic, in fact its almost all cleared up now. The information you gave me has been very informative and educational. Thank you VERY much!!!! Also, please let me know if there is anything I can get you from our island of Guam =]
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?