Sunday, March 19, 2006

 

Today is idyllic.

    Yesterday was mostly wind and rain and hail with a barely noticeable hint of snow. Today, just a few hours ago, one of those "look at me, aren't I beautiful" snows started. Slow, straight start, cooling down the ground; now, the flakes are bigger, there's a bit of wind whirling everything around, it's sticking on the landscape like a virgin Christmas snow, except for the concrete and pavement. It's one of those snows that reminds you, when you look into it, that we view things in 3-D; that makes you burst into a chorus of "Sleigh bells ring, are you list'nin'". Mom has even been enjoying it. She just retired for a nap but it wasn't the snow that drove her to bed; it's just that her usual nap timer went off. So, now I'm sitting here on the floor, staring out our kitty windows (the ones close to the floor), sipping raspberry cocoa (I offered my mother cocoa, any flavor she wanted, but she turned it down) and feeling snow-charmed. Thank the gods we aren't hosting distracting company, regardless of the fact that our company would have liked the snow, too. The thing is, company would have also suggested, "Ooooh, it's snowing, this would be a good time to..." and any possibility of personal snow reverie would have evaporated. Much as I love my family, I love my desire for solitude more.
    People forget, I'm a natural isolate. For me, the world is most luxuriously experienced one-on-one. That's: Me-on-The-World or The-World-on-Me. I can make allowances for my mother's presence, as she's known this about me from The Beginning and has always accepted it and worked around it. But, you know, sometimes, I can't make allowances for anyone else, especially when it's raining or snowing.
    We are furiously working our way through Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt once again. I think it's going to be one of those books, like some of the classic children's books, that I'll be reading aloud to Mom again and again. This time, she sits forward in her chair and devours every word with a not quite secret smile. It's pure pleasure for me when she is so captivated by a story. I hope Anne Rice makes this into a series of novels, for my mother's sake.
    The snow and the ambiance dictate that today is Tomato Biscuit Pie for Dinner day. Everything's ready to go.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?