Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

It was as though the Snow Gods wrapped their arms around me today and said,

"Gail, this one's for you." As of last night the weather report was predicting some rain, maybe. When I awoke the sky was bright and clear and I thought, "Fuck, not even any rain." I checked the weather again; rain, maybe some snow, with a "who knows" attitude...I aroused Mom at 1300 after checking in on her at noon and noon-thirty; she was snoring and in REM sleep both times. At 1300 her eyes were opening. The sky had darkened a little and the clouds were spitting a very light hail which was melting as soon as it hit the ground. I dismissed this display. Mom and I commenced her bathing. A half hour later when we emerged from the bathroom we peered out into yet another Christmas card snow, already covering everything. The snow continued all day. When it ended around 2000 we'd gotten about 5 inches. I am satisfied.
    The rest of the day went well, too. I have much to report catalyzed by a long, amazing phone call with MCS but I'm tired and ready for bed. I want to mention, though, in case MCS checks in, since we talked about the latest Dead Zone report, that when Mom awoke from her nap (she had spoken with MCS immediately before napping) she asked, "Does MCS know about Mother?" By which she was indicating that she is finally remembering that "Mother" is dead.
    I assured her that, yes, MCS knows, she was informed immediately after Grandma's death. I gently reminded her that Grandma has been dead for "almost a couple of decades", so we all, including Mom, have known for a long time.
    "Well, good," Mom said. "She'd [MCS'd] want to know."
    In case you're wondering why Mom would be concerned about Mom knowing, although there may be other reasons, I know one of them is that she remains aware that MCS is now the family genealogist and has taken over the records Mom collected.
    I should mention something else connected with the latest Dead Zone episode that slipped my mind earlier. After the episode, when we reviewed The Deaths in the Family, I noticed and mentioned that this episode occurred on the anniversary (the 26th, to be exact) of her father's death. We both found this curious. I kidded her that she might find herself dreaming her father's death on the next anniversary of her mother's death.
    We both chuckled at this possibility and she responded, "I don't think so. I remember that he died."
    So, you know, maybe her catch-up with herself is close to completion.
    More...
    ...later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?