Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

The Dropsies

    I'm going to let Mom sleep a half hour beyond what would be her normal 12 hour awakening at 1300. It seems this entire area of our house, most especially including me, has the dropsies. When I awoke this morning I walked into the kitchen to grab a clean bra before I showered and discovered that sometime during the night the fixture cover for the kitchen ceiling light had dropped and shattered all over the kitchen and dinette floor (I changed one of the bulbs three days ago and must not have secured the cover well enough to keep it up). So, "naked as we came" [Thank you, Iron & Wine], I grabbed a broom and swept up both the glass and a fascinated kitten who thought I was playing a wonderful kitty game.
    Finally headed into the bathroom and while showering managed to drop three items, one of which I never pick up, another of which dropped on the big toe on which I've been successfully nursing and healing an ingrown toenail. Ouch!
    While doing the errands I'd already planned I stopped at Ace Hardware to examine light fixture covers. While I was handling one of the samples, in front of a CSR, measuring it to see if it would fit (it wouldn't), I dropped that and broke it. I was aghast. I pleaded over and over to be allowed to pay for it, especially since they didn't have anything I could use, but the guy waiting on me, the clean-up person and the manager, who materialized to see what was going on, all refused. Needless to say, although I was an occasional customer before, I'm a dedicated customer, now.
    Finally arrived home. Made my first cup of coffee of the morning. Picked it up to transfer it from the "coffee making area" of our kitchen to the opposite counter so I could drink it while I was setting up breakfast preparations in anticipation of awakening Mom. While I was handling it over the counter I lost hold of it for absolutely no good reason and it was a miracle that I managed to catch it, although I was determined: It is my favorite coffee cup, given to me by one of my nieces when she lived in Alaska. I did, however, splash all the coffee over everything in the vicinity and myself. Yet another clean-up.
    As well, I burst into tears. Funny, I thought I was feeling pretty good, this morning. I still think this. But, I'm shaky, now, obviously, and need some extra time to cool down, hoping that will keep me from dropping Mom.
    I'll check back later. If I don't drop my laptop.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?