Wednesday, February 8, 2006

 

Looks like it's going to be a magnificent sleep day today...

...for my mother. I checked on her at noon. She was snoring. The Little Girl called to her and she didn't budge. I lightly ran my finger over her right arm and she didn't react. She looked peaceful. I let her sleep.
    At 1300 she was dreaming. I let her sleep.
    At 1330 she was snoring again. The Little Girl jumped on her bed and settled down behind her knees for a nap. I let her sleep.
    Finally, at 1400 I called her. Vigorously. She awakened. She's in clean pajamas and clean underwear and clean bedding. I changed all that out at 1000 when she went back to bed.
    After I gave her the first of her pills and we chatted a bit, including twice when I cautioned her not to lay her head back on the pillow, she finally said, "I think I'd rather sleep the day away."
    "Mom, it's 1400. Are you sure you want to do that?"
    "I'm sure."
    "When do you want me to call you?"
    She looked at the clock. "It's two, now. How about seeing how I feel at four?"
    "Welllll...okay. What the hell. Why not have a sleep day?"
    "I don't know why, but I'm soooo tired today."
    "You'll probably only get in one meal and a snack, and probably only half your pills."
    "I might stay up late tonight."
    "You might."
    And then, again...
    It's been a long, long time since she's had a sleep day of this magnitude. Since her labs look fairly good and I've satisfied myself that I don't need to worry about anything on them, I'll go ahead and let her sleep. Gives me some time to do some shredding, which has been piling up since I started rifling papers out for taxes. I could probably finish the taxes, too, but what's left is the computer work and, except for this post, I'm not really in the eye-mood for that. I came on with the idea of explaining my meeting with the Jabberwock, but I think I'll wait until later. Already my eyes are swimming here at the screen.
    Just wanted to mention, today is going to be even slower than I thought. I don't think I'll get her out on the driveway.
    I did, by the way, hydrate her well and check her for leakage before letting her fall back to sleep.
    She's fine. Her color is good. I'll let her sleep.
    Later. Probably not until tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?