Wednesday, February 8, 2006

 

I put taxes aside for a couple of days...

...and spent much time researching the possible causes of low HA1c when blood sugars are not low. It seems that the medical community is only a little less confused than I. Of the few diseases that seem to display abnormally low hemoglobin, all are rare, a few are genetic and my mother doesn't appear to have any. In addition, in a study of 200 found instances of this condition, 70% were found to be asymptomatic and unexplainable (as yet). Of the two diseases most commonly found to display this quirk, my mother has neither: The first is polycythemia, a condition in which the bone marrow manufacturers too many red blood cells. The second is sickle cell anemia, which my mother doesn't have. There are also a couple of very rare genetic disorders which display this phenomenon, all of which "present" in early to mid-adulthood. There wasn't much to be found anywhere about what my mother is "presenting". Usually, abnormal HA1c in the presence of anemia is higher than normal and comes back into line when the anemia is controlled.
    It also appears that my guess that this might be linked to her Chronic Renal Failure is probably incorrect; at least there is no literature, at the moment, indicating such. Thus, I understand why my suggestion of dropping her glipizide by half was ignored by her doctor. This also explains why her renal indicators are good overall and, for her, excellent, all within normal range except her BUN, which is only slightly out of normal range. My guess is that the doctor will probably let this go, maybe take another HA1c at our appointment in April to see if it is dropping further or remaining steady. I haven't heard from him at all, so my guess is that I needn't worry about anything in her blood tests.
    I tried to get her out for a walkering session yesterday on the driveway but she was as intractable as a boulder. I didn't push, since I was still in the middle of research.
    I've got a little stat ketchup to perform.
    Later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
All material copyright at time of posting by Gail Rae Hudson

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?